Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice Needed: Drill Press Vice
BigMac

posted on 12/3/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Advice Needed: Drill Press Vice

Hi Guys

I decided to treat myself to Clarke Drill Press on the last VAT free day at Machine Mart.

One of the main things I've been using it for is drilling fasteners for lockwiring, and it's proving to be a bit of a nightmare.

I bought a simple drill vice to mount to the press- but given the size of the fasteners I'm trying to drill, it's just not working. I'm finding that as I tighten the jaws to hold the bolt in place, the adjustable jaw is trying to ride up over the fixed one, twisting the bolt and weakening the overall grip. When I come to drill into the fastener, it moves when the drill makes contact with the surface.

So I'm looking for something that I can use that will hold a fastener steady (usually by the threads) and is easily and finely adjustable so I can centre the drill bit without having to move the drilling platform by hand (as minute movements are nigh-on impossible). I've seen vices that allow you to adjust the work-piece in both planes, but they seem really expensive.

Oh and I've considered using a lockwire drilling jig, but I want to drill across the faces, rather than at an angle across two adjacent faces.

Does anyone have any alternatives they can recommend?

Thanks in advance guys,

Ben.

[Edited on 12/3/15 by BigMac]

JeffHs

posted on 12/3/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Use 2 pieces of wood to grip the bolt. Put the wood together face to face in the vice then drill a hole a bit smaller than your bolt down the gap say a 6mm for an 8 mm.
The smaller hole will grip the bolt without damaging the threads and gives you some meat to hold in the vice.
I have one of those cheap Clarke vises too and I recognize the symptoms you describe!

MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of those cheap vices as well, they are crap!

Rather than holding the fastener by it's threads, you could make a hacksaw cut through one side of a couple of nuts then wind these onto the bolt. Clamp the assembly in your vice via the split nuts and they will pinch up and grip the bolt without damaging the threads. Even better would be to modify a tube nut like this.

[Edited on 12/3/15 by MikeRJ]

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/15 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a jig specially for this. Do a Google or eBay search on bolt drilling jig

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 12/3/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
eBay
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/3/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've found the Clarke drill press vices are extremely useful to hold parts for Tig welding.

I have not found them at all useful for holding things for drilling.

As has been said - get a Jig.

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
You want a v block.

BigMac

posted on 13/3/15 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the replies gents, I really appreciate the advice!

I didn't even know a v-block existed, that's definately an option to pursue- as is the drilling jig if none of the less money intensive strategies work.

quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Use 2 pieces of wood to grip the bolt. Put the wood together face to face in the vice then drill a hole a bit smaller than your bolt down the gap say a 6mm for an 8 mm.
The smaller hole will grip the bolt without damaging the threads and gives you some meat to hold in the vice.

Jeff- I love this idea, I'm going to give this one a go and see how I get on... I'm not an overly creative guy when it comes to this stuff, but I really can see that one working.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I have one of those cheap vices as well, they are crap!

Rather than holding the fastener by it's threads, you could make a hacksaw cut through one side of a couple of nuts then wind these onto the bolt. Clamp the assembly in your vice via the split nuts and they will pinch up and grip the bolt without damaging the threads. Even better would be to modify a tube nut like this.

[Edited on 12/3/15 by MikeRJ]

Mike, love this one too- being a bit of an engineering numpty it took me a minute to understand what you meant, but I've got it now! May give this one a go first and failing that, try Jeff's, followed by buying a jig if I really get stuck.

If I still can't solve it, then I'll take the plunge and invest in a proper drilling jig, but one like this.

Will let you all know, thanks again gents!

Ben.

[Edited on 13/3/15 by BigMac]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.