Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plates CP24 (are they needed?)
ttklsr

posted on 21/3/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Plates CP24 (are they needed?)

I am about to complete my chassis as per Gibbs' book but have 2-off plates CP24 left. They are either not discussed in the book or I missed that bit. I found an old thread on this forum which suggested that plates CP24 should be welded in between BR1 and BR8 and between BR2 and BR9. To be honest there is little space under the suspension brackets. In addition, I welded 5 mm thick plates for the ZETEC mounts. So my question is whether plates CP24 are really needed?

I would appreciate your opinions on the subject.

Slimy38

posted on 22/3/15 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Mmm, looks like I missed them as well!! As you say, you've got the suspension brackets welded across that location, and then the engine mounts go across them as well. I can't see what else they would add?
ashg

posted on 22/3/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
they are there so you can weld the suspension brackets on all four corners, they ideally need to be there. these cars take a beating when driven fast on the road and i have seen poorly placed/supported suspension brackets rip off a chassis tube many many times

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

JoelP

posted on 22/3/15 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just to agree that suspension can fail in everyday use. My rear trailing arms snapped on a bumpy road. It's easier to beef it up now than when the car is fully dressed. Or in a ditch.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ttklsr

posted on 24/3/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot guys for your advice. You are right, Joel, it is not a problem so strengthen the brackets now. I will weld those plates in.
One more questions though. Ash, what do you mean when you say "all four corners"? I can see only two corners.

Thanks,
Tom.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.