Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wide track front end
beaver34

posted on 1/4/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
wide track front end

hi,

i fancy making a wide track wishbone setup for my car, my question is would i need longer shocks ie should i move the pickup point further along the arm or leave it where it is and just make the arms longer with the same geo?

thanks!

tegwin

posted on 1/4/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you move the shock attachment point inboard on the A arm you increase the bending forces dramatically. Not a brilliant idea on a thin arm...

I'd guess the "correct" way of doing things would require the top shock mount to be moved outboard slightly so that the shock angle is correct.... Shouldnt need different shocks though

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

beaver34

posted on 1/4/15 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
i would move it outwards if making the wishbone longer, or leave in the same place if moving it outward i would need longer shocks.

i guess my question should have been does running say a inch or 2 inch longer shock help things or not

daveb666

posted on 1/4/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
how wide are you planning? My front wishbones are 'as wide' as my rear axle, so around 1" wider on each side I believe.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

fesycresy

posted on 1/4/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
If you move the shock attachment point inboard on the A arm you increase the bending forces dramatically. Not a brilliant idea on a thin arm...

I'd guess the "correct" way of doing things would require the top shock mount to be moved outboard slightly so that the shock angle is correct.... Shouldnt need different shocks though

I totally agree, spend some time speaking to Matt @ Procomp and he suggests a beam to fix the top shock mount.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

beaver34

posted on 1/4/15 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
how wide are you planning? My front wishbones are 'as wide' as my rear axle, so around 1" wider on each side I believe.

match the rear end really an inch would be fine it think without measuring

daveb666

posted on 1/4/15 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
In that case happy to take any meaurementsif you need any?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/4/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield's widetrack moves the wishbone's shock pickup a commensurate amount. You then have a longer shock requirement. When I fitted said wishbones to my Westfield, I was quite surprised at the shallow angle of the shock. Mind you the rears are at quite a silly angle too.

I've seen other wide wishbones with the shock mount in the narrow track location, but with some heavy reinforcement to (presumably) obviate the bending. You retain the standard shock and angle.

If I was doing this all again, hindsight would tell me to move the chassis top shock mount outboard. Hindsight is good, and accurate too.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/4/15 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I've seen other wide wishbones with the shock mount in the narrow track location, but with some heavy reinforcement to (presumably) obviate the bending. You retain the standard shock and angle.

The spring rate would also need to go up in this case to keep the same wheel rate.

beaver34

posted on 1/4/15 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
In that case happy to take any meaurementsif you need any?

yes might be usefull or ill pop round or meet up somewhere if your out and about

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.