Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA Kits and Rebuilds and NOVA Proof
ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA Kits and Rebuilds and NOVA Proof

Now I've calmed down, I would like to bring this issue to the forums attention.

Apparently there has always been a requirement to prove that a kit or converted vehicle q plate or otherwise, has to prove there is no import duty applicable to these vehicles before registration. This rule HAS always been there but has never really been enforced. Probably because it makes no sense what-so-ever and there is no form or facility to get this proof from the customs & Excise Notification Of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) they can only send you a form to fill in that you can't fill in because it is for notifying them that you have imported a vehicle which you obviously haven't. Good this isn't it.

BUT now I have been told that kits & rebuilds have been told by there managers that they MUST 100% have proof that the car hasn't been imported or has duty applicable.

So I'm now sat here with a form I can't fill in because non of it is applicable and I can't speak to anyone about it at NOVA because I can only get through to a department that provides advise on filling in the form I can't fill in!

I'm waiting for a call back from kits and rebuilds as they have asked me to send them the NOVA form so they can speak to their mangers about it. Quote from NOVA ( It's complete madness they are now asking for this......I can only send you the form in pdf format that you can then print off and try to fill in, but you'll struggle to do that as it's not applicable to you or your vehicle"

Any advise on this.

mookaloid

posted on 9/4/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that a bunch of receipts showing that the kit and/or the components were purchased in the UK would be sufficient to prove that it hasn't been imported.

This might be tricky if it is a project car that was bought with no documentation but for a scratch builder it shouldn't be a problem.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am making an application to the DVLA regarding the registration of a kit car type vehicle I have built and they have sent me the attached letter asking me to contact your department. I spoke to your advise line and was advised that this had happened before and that it didn’t make much sense as I can only really contact your department by filling in a NOVA application which isn’t applicable to the vehicle I am registering. Even though DVLA Kits and Rebuilds Department agree that this process doesn’t make much sense and it is clear to them that the car hasn’t been imported, they have said that I need to fill in the form as best I can, which is impossible, and have your government department send me a letter in response to this letter and unfilled application stating the vehicle chassis number doesn’t appear on your database (and why would it, they gave me the chassis number and it’s a new one at that) and indeed hasn’t been imported and that filling in the form or making an application for the import of the vehicle is not applicable and unnecessary even though this fact is quite clear to them anyway. Go figure. So could you please place this application form in the bin and be so kind as to send me a letter stating the above so that I can then send it to DVLA Kits and Rebuilds Department and then they can tick a box and we can all move on with our lives.
The chassis no of the vehicle is SABTVR

Sincerely,

Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ctwv50
IMHO your letter is OK. but. The last part of it may be considered rude by a bureaucrat (so) that has had a bad day and may not get the results you want.
Here in Mexico when I am dealing with this type of issues a swallow my pride and put on my @rse kissing outfit.
Not that you should but in the end it is easier to get what you want.
Again, in my humble opinion only

Hope you get it sorted soon.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks AA, Don't worry I'm just letting off steam. I won't be sending the letter in that format. I'll let you know how I get on with this anyway.
ReMan

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
If NOVA was an obstacle, I'd be surprised that this was not covered regularly on the forum
It is well documented though that the DVLA are unreliable and inconsistent and other things, so I wonder if you'd just spoken to the wrong person on the wrong day.
Where is thjis requirement documented?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Davedew

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Was the quote above from NOVA in the email that they sent the form to you on?

If it was I would have thought forwarding that email to DVLA along with the form should have sorted the problem.

They go on about saving the government money. Try training the staff properly and they would get things done quicker and cheaper!!!

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
If NOVA was an obstacle, I'd be surprised that this was not covered regularly on the forum
It is well documented though that the DVLA are unreliable and inconsistent and other things, so I wonder if you'd just spoken to the wrong person on the wrong day.
Where is thjis requirement documented?

It's always been there but never enforced 100%, probably because it is nonsense, I've spoken to 3 of them up to now. They all seem very confused about this and can't actually tell me what to do. They keep saying fill in the form as best you can. Well that's interesting, the NOVA Form Notification Of Vehicle Arrival. Which part do I fill in and sign?

http://www.lambretta.co.uk/downloads/nova-form.pdf

Take a look.....

"Vehicle notification system for vehicles
brought into the UK from abroad
Use this form if you are bringing a land vehicle into the UK
for permanent use. "

"Part 1 Notifier details
Only complete this section if you are notifying on behalf of the purchaser of the vehicle"

"Part 2 Supplier details
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from within the EU. See Note 4 for a list of
countries that are within the EU."

"Part 3 Vehicle type and specification
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) purchased the vehicle inside or outside of the EU."

"Part 4 Leasing arrangements by VAT registered businesses
Complete this part of the form if the vehicle is leased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered business."

"Part 5 Additional vehicle questions for EU purchases
Complete this section if the vehicle was purchased in the EU. If the vehicle was purchased outside the EU go to Part 7.
If you answered ‘No’ to the question in Part 4, you do not need to answer questions 33 to 40."

"Part 6 Specific vehicle questions for VAT registered businesses
Answer both of the following questions if the vehicle was purchased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered
business. "

"Part 7 Additional vehicle questions for purchases outside the EU
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from outside the EU. See Note 11.
To prevent possible delays in dealing with your notification, please check that you have used the correct commodity
code and import entry details for the vehicle."

ReMan

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
So where in the process of registering a kit-built vehicle is this NOVA required?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitbuilt-vehicles

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to one lady to ask which vehicle vin number I was to enquire about, the main donor, or the car I had built. She couldn't even answer me clearly on that.... pffft!
ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So where in the process of registering a kit-built vehicle is this NOVA required?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitbuilt-vehicles

I know, it's not there!

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
Was the quote above from NOVA in the email that they sent the form to you on?

If it was I would have thought forwarding that email to DVLA along with the form should have sorted the problem.

They go on about saving the government money. Try training the staff properly and they would get things done quicker and cheaper!!!

I included the quote within my email but it was a verbal quote.

ReMan

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
You've lost me

I dont see any relevence or requirement for NOVA, neither for IVA application, nor Registration.]
So why cant you just apply as instructed on the web rather than talk to someone who doesnt know jack.

As for " requiremet that's never been enforced" that's borrocks (they not you"!)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

40inches

posted on 9/4/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You've lost me

I dont see any relevence or requirement for NOVA, neither for IVA application, nor Registration.]
So why cant you just apply as instructed on the web rather than talk to someone who doesnt know jack.

As for " requiremet that's never been enforced" that's borrocks (they not you"!)

Spot on. Just send off the forms as laid out, ignore the NOVA (never heard of it before) and see what happens. There are enough hurdles as it is

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
My application is already in as per the info on their website and even though the DVLA know that a search on the chassis number that they gave me will return nothing by HMRC they want me to write to HMRC and ask them for a letter confirming this. Wow bureaucracy gone mad. I tied the manager up in knots with my arguement that there was quite clearly large amounts of evidence to suggest that there was no chance this car was imported and that HMRC would have no data or oustanding duty on the chassis number that the DVLA gave me. But she said "In this case we need a letter from HMRC."

[Edited on 9/4/15 by ctwv50]

40inches

posted on 9/4/15 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Send the form back with "NA" in every box, if they only want a form, they will have one.
ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Send the form back with "NA" in every box, if they only want a form, they will have one.

DONE!

40inches

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ctwv50
quote:

DONE!

I really feel for you At one point in time the registration process was (sort of) the easy part, but it looks like the IVA test
is a doddle by comparison now
Could you possibly cancel the registration process and reapply? Assuming you get all the documents back.

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ctwv50
quote:

DONE!

I really feel for you At one point in time the registration process was (sort of) the easy part, but it looks like the IVA test
is a doddle by comparison now
Could you possibly cancel the registration process and reapply? Assuming you get all the documents back.

They are going above and beyond all required levels of civil servant stupidity and pen pushing. They are so wrong check out this little lot I've been reading....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehicle-arrivals/vat-information-sheet-0613-notification-of-vehi cle-arrivals

“When is a notification not required?
A NOVA notification is not required for:”
“• vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/4 which have been manufactured in the UK and have not been imported from outside the UK (Go to Note (iv) for further information)
• vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/5 which have been manufactured in the UK and have not been imported from outside the UK (Go to Note (v) for further information)”

“Note (iv) New vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/4 that are not vehicle imports
Certain vehicles that are newly manufactured in the UK are registered and licensed using a V55/4 form even though they are not vehicle imports. If this is the case then no NOVA notification is required if you provide the DVLA with a letter from the manufacturer clearly confirming that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK. The DVLA will not register the vehicle if there is any indication that the vehicle has ever left the UK.”

“Note (v) Used vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/5 that are not vehicle imports
Some very old vehicles are registered and licensed with the DVLA using a V55/5 form even though they are not vehicle imports. If this is the case, no NOVA notification is required where it is clear that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK and there is no indication that the vehicle has ever left the UK.”

http://www.bifa.org/_Attachments/Resources/1681_S4.pdf

. “6) Vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/5 that are not vehicle imports and do not need a NOVA notification &#8232;We understand that a number of customers use a V55/5 to register and license very old vehicles that have been manufactured in the UK and have not been imported from outside the UK. If this is the case then no NOVA notification is required where: &#8232;
a) it is clear that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK, and
b) there is no indication that the vehicle has ever left the UK. “

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Note (v) Used vehicles registered and licensed using a V55/5 that are not vehicle imports
Some very old vehicles are registered and licensed with the DVLA using a V55/5 form even though they are not vehicle imports. If this is the case, no NOVA notification is required where it is clear that the vehicle has been manufactured in the UK and there is no indication that the vehicle has ever left the UK.

ctwv50

posted on 9/4/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is brilliant guess who I'm calling at 9am

http://www.bifa.org/_Attachments/Resources/1700_S4.pdf

Right down at the bottom of the document

However, if you have specific examples of the system not working or examples of any breakdown in communication between HMRC and DVLA/DVA please contact anyone in the NOVA project team:

ctwv50

posted on 10/4/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've just spoken to the NOVA guys and informed him of the situation kit builders are finding themselves in with the DVLA and he has gone off to speak with other members of the team and is calling me back.
ctwv50

posted on 10/4/15 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
OK it looks like this guy I'm talking to has the authority to get some changes made and he's going to be coming back to me later today or Monday. I'll keep you updated and let you know what happens.

[Edited on 10/4/15 by ctwv50]

theduck

posted on 10/4/15 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck! I feel your pain, everytime I enquire about progress on my IVA application I get told the wrong processing dates, I even had one lady tell me that when I asked specifically for the M1 dates that I didnt need the dates for an M1 application as I was having a trailer tested?!?!

Should add, the tech team who I managed to speak to after this have confirmed my application is in for the correct type of test and apologised for the call centre being consistently inaccurate.

[Edited on 10/4/15 by theduck]

ianhurley20

posted on 10/4/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Chris, thank you for fighting the battle for all of us who have yet to reach the point that you have.

IanR

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.