Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing a Bec engine
123standish

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Changing a Bec engine

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a bec either a Westfield or mk I think. My question is if I bought a Westfield megabusa, how easy would it be to put an r1 in or visa versa, is it purely the engine mounts, changing gear box and associated electrics?

Thanks in advance.
John

CosKev3

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your buying one with a knackered engine?

Engine and gearbox are combined on a bike engine.

Are you any good with a welder?

Easiest route would prob be to buy a ready made cradle for the engine, then weld mounts for the new cradle onto your chassis,and then cut off your lower mounts and reweld on ones to match the R1 lower mounts.
Other things to consider will be propshaft length and exhaust mods, including hole in side panel for exhaust manifold.

[Edited on 12/4/15 by CosKev3]

[Edited on 12/4/15 by CosKev3]

JoelP

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Engine mounts, prop and adapter, wiring, possibly fueling, exhaust, and possibly the bodywork if it's much different in size. Not the end of the world, but not necessarily a small job.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

fesycresy

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I would advise against it with the Megabusa. Values do drop if you don't have a Busa motor in a Megabusa chassis. Likewise megablade / megabird. Why not just put another Busa motor in?

With the MK it wouldn't hit values too much because MK support all bike engines and I think prospective owners would look at the engineering quality of the swap rather than 'Westfield supported' as with the Megas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

123standish

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Very helpful.

No we are looking for one complete and ready to go, but various post on here suggest they don't last forever and thinking about worst case situation. Regarding going from a busa to an R1 purely on the cost of a new engine.

I am not a regular welder so would be a trip on the trailer to a local garage.

CosKev3

posted on 12/4/15 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't be cheap paying someone to do it, probably heading towards the price of a replacement busa engine I would guess by the time you've bought a R1 engine/wiring/prop/exhaust modding and fitting costs.
ReMan

posted on 12/4/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
If properly prepped, dry sump or similar at least and working well there's no reason to e be thinking of it going pop in a hurry.
But in a any case it would be a bit backward to downgrade and as mentioned probably similar cost. A buss engined car will attract a bit of a premium one R1/Blade IMHO so I'd keep it that way

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.