Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft Clipping Chassis on medium RPM RV8
Irony

posted on 20/4/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Propshaft Clipping Chassis on medium RPM RV8

The output flange on my LT77 is nearly as wide as my transmission tunnel. I reckon there is less than 2mm clearance. The universal joint on my propshaft has some bits that are slightly wider by about 1mm-1.5mm. At idle things are fine but as the revs increase the engine moves slightly on its rubber mounts and the propshaft clips the chassis. I can see where the very edge of the UJ has clipped the paint off and scored the metal.

I see a couple of things to try:

1: Stonger, better engine mounts, or a top mount to steady things. Better gearbox mount.
2: Cut out or trim the offending strut and weld another in two inches further back. Not easy as I don't have a welder.
3. Leave it and eventually the metal will wear away and it won't clip any more.
4: Chuck the whole bloody car in the fricking bin and spend some time with my family. Also give up thinking of getting it done this bloody year.

Anyone got any thoughts - or even snazzy pics of upper engine mount pics?

mark chandler

posted on 20/4/15 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not cheap but I am assuming you are running standard rover big rubbery mounts and will not require any welding.

http://www.qtservices.co.uk/parts/land-rover-forward-control-101/engine-and-transmission/e1010-v8-engine-mounts_v8-engine-mounts.html

The mount you really need to address is on the gearbox, can you pack this up a tad ?

[Edited on 20/4/15 by mark chandler]

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/4/15 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
2mm clearance is very small. Even going to a solid mount that gap will vary under load.
Long term it needs to be opened up. I would aim for at least 6mm, ideally 10mm. But that is my take.....

Irony

posted on 20/4/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Not cheap but I am assuming you are running standard rover big rubbery mounts and will not require any welding.

http://www.qtservices.co.uk/parts/land-rover-forward-control-101/engine-and-transmission/e1010-v8-engine-mounts_v8-engine-mounts.html

The mount you really need to address is on the gearbox, can you pack this up a tad ?

[Edited on 20/4/15 by mark chandler]

Its the downright on the transmission tunnel that 'happens' to fall in exactly the wrong place. So moving the gearbox up or down won't help, it's lateral movement thats causing trouble.

I am using standard rover rubber mounts. Wow they are costly mounts!

How finely balanced are propshafts? Mine was made by auto prop. The bit catching on the UJ could quite easily be ground off with compromising the strength at all. As it's on the knuckle of the UJ I could even take some off both sides.

Paul Turner

posted on 20/4/15 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Don't go modifying a prop. It spinning at a fair rate pretty close to your person and if it lets go its going to do lots of damage to the car and potentially you as well.

IMHO you need to do it properly to get as much clearance as you. I once had a gearbox mount fail due to oil contamination. It allowed the end of the box and UJ to move under cornering and it made a right mess of the tunnel and frightened me to death when it started knocking.

If you do it right now it will not need doing later.

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/4/15 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
A pic may help, but from what you say moving a couple of uprights will solve the issue? If so, this is the way to go. Chop chop, buzz buzz and its done. And you know it is right.
Irony

posted on 20/4/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
A pic may help, but from what you say moving a couple of uprights will solve the issue? If so, this is the way to go. Chop chop, buzz buzz and its done. And you know it is right.

I have just put a post up on my Villages Facebook page for a bloke with a welder! I think its the only way.

whitestu

posted on 20/4/15 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issue on my MY and ended up moving the tunnel metalwork to make more space.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.