Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: for the love off cars (season 2)
brookie

posted on 20/4/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
for the love off cars (season 2)

any one watch it last night
mark chandler

posted on 20/4/15 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes pretty good, this is my favourite car based program as they do it right.

I would not have blasted the Ali panels myself!

Very hard cars to restore as you have to cut out the bottom of wings to get to the steel below, the person that really won was the seller getting £37k for that mess, it should have been around £25k making getting one as a retirement doer up get further distant

[Edited on 20/4/15 by mark chandler]

Irony

posted on 20/4/15 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bit dissapointed to be honest. They flicked over the good bits. One minute the bodywork was awful, dented and dinked etc, then it was prepped for painting! It cost £30k to rebuild the engine. £30K and all we got was a shot of the crank spinning round and a shot of it being tested! Bring back the 'A car is born' serials. What about the brakes, wiring, cooling, dash, running gear etc etc etc etc
tegwin

posted on 20/4/15 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't figure out why the chap who bought it paid so much.... Surely he could have bought a wreck and had it rebuilt to his own spec for less than the auction price!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ianm67

posted on 20/4/15 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I couldn't figure out why the chap who bought it paid so much.... Surely he could have bought a wreck and had it rebuilt to his own spec for less than the auction price!?

Didn't Ant Anstead say that 6000 hours of labour went into the restoration over the 10 week period? That cost wasn't factored in if I remember correctly.....

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

tegwin

posted on 20/4/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd assumed the labour was factored into the £30k resto cost

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ianm67

posted on 20/4/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I'd assumed the labour was factored into the £30k resto cost

If he only charges £5 an hour I'll pay him to finish building my Dax for me........ I reckon £500 will see it done........

mark chandler

posted on 20/4/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
8 weeks, 6000 hours, I cannot see how that is possible.... You would need a lot of people all working together to achieve that.

Those old engines do make very good power, the engine went to the right place.... You adjust the tappets by grinding the top of the valve stems

MikeR

posted on 20/4/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
What the heck was the car?
mark chandler

posted on 20/4/15 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Early Aston Martin DBS, with the straight six, they pretty soon afterwards got the V8. The body arrived before the engine in production terms.
ianm67

posted on 20/4/15 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
8 weeks, 6000 hours, I cannot see how that is possible.... You would need a lot of people all working together to achieve that.

Those old engines do make very good power, the engine went to the right place.... You adjust the tappets by grinding the top of the valve stems

A £30k engine rebuild !! I spat my coffee over the TV!

I think the build was over 10 weeks so that's 15 people doing eight hour days, five days a week for 10 weeks. It's a lot of resource..... Here's a short quote from the press:

This was the most ambitious job the pair have yet attempted, and after 6,000 man hours and £87,500, it all came down to a choice of leather interiors – “stay-safe black or roll-the-dice red”? Luckily, the twinkle in the eye of their auctioneer suggests they made the right decision.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/for-the-love-of-cars-tv-review-phil-glenister-and-ant-ansteads-most-ambitious-job-yet-10187 733.html

MikeR

posted on 20/4/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Take everything on the telly with a pinch of salt.
Hodor

posted on 20/4/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Especially masterchef

ReMan

posted on 20/4/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Especially masterchef

boom boom

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bowood14

posted on 21/4/15 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just watched it on 'catch up' what a load of dross won't bother again, just a load of chat didn't show any of the work done.
swanny

posted on 21/4/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
its a real shame, they miss a trick with this kind of show. they must have loads more footage of this, unused. re package all the extra bits (the bits the locosters are interested in) and voice over it. not by anyone famous, get one of the mechanics (i'm thinking project binky) and release via the web for a few quid for the whole series.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.