Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: IOS databases
tegwin

posted on 14/5/15 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
OT: IOS databases

I have searched high and low on the app store/google and cant find what im after...

I basically want to create 3 tables, User, Asset, Venue. Add items to those tables and then have a fourth table (Events) with dropdowns so I can select items from the other tables....

I would then like to be able to get simple reports from it to find out how many of the events user A went to, or how often a given asset is used.

Its not complex..

This needs to be on IOS iphone/ipad and work offline with a sync to the cloud for backup. Anyone have any ideas? The only commercial solutions I can find are hundreds of pounds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Worzey

posted on 14/5/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not do that in an Excel spreadsheet? You can get Excel for IOS for free.

Should be able to do what you want with pivot tables etc...

Caterham R400

bi22le

posted on 14/5/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Microsoft access would be able to do most of it other than the back up.

You may even get an app to run it.

Im not sure its a DIY job really. A web based system with sync function allowing update and off line use may work. In which case try that route.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 14/5/15 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I use Google Drive for any 'cloud' things that I need access to. The Drive app makes everything transparent, so instead of saving it to the phone you're saving it to your online drive. Google Drive itself then has settings for what files/folders are private, public etc.
tegwin

posted on 14/5/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Valid point and I think you can make some google drive stuff available offline. Need to find out a way of creating forms that interact with the tables to give a fairly simple front end. (Standard google forms don't really work well offline)

[Edited on 14/5/15 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

hughpinder

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
"Filemaker go" is Apples own ios database client and is free to download, but you will need to buy "filemaker" (for windows or mac os - both on the same disk) to create your database in the first place. I'm not sure but I think there are some event management demos you can download, and you can download filemaker for a free 30 day trial from apple. I would go for version 13 (14 is just out), as you can get "Filemaker 13 pro" for about £140 on ebay at the moment. I think there is some sort of monthly licencing deal you can do now(I haven't used that). If you are in a fully OSX/iOS environment it is a great product and easy to set up for iphone/ipad integration.
Best of luck
Hugh

tegwin

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
An expensive bit of software but I guess if it does the job. Thanks, il download the demo and see how I get on

computid

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a perfectly tailored solution I'm an iOS developer. But I'll be a lot more expensive then £140...

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 14/5/15 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if the solution will still work, but look at Google Forms. Set up the form to collect data and deposit into spreadsheet like docs on google drive.

Then pick up an iOS app for Forms.

I did this for a simple survey at work. It collected data offline and synced when an interweb connection was available.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 14/5/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
And Numbers is the iOS spreadsheet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.