Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Child in front seats of a 7
steve m

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Child in front seats of a 7

Ive had a good google search, but am unable to find a definitive answer

Can I take my 5yr old granddaughter out in the left hand seat of my 7 legally on the road ?

It has two seats , mine, and er the passengers one !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you use a booster seat, yes. One of the ones that is a base only, with no back will do and is most likely to fit. If like me you've got full harnesses, it's little different to being in a full child seat anyway!

There's no difference to the rules for a tin-top - it's only recommended that younger children use a back seat and of course front air-bags and rear facing baby seats are a real no-no.

[Edited on 20/5/15 by SteveWalker]

steve m

posted on 20/5/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 20/5/15 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming she is over 22kg. If she's under that she will need one with a back.

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 21/5/15 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
Legally yes....however 4 point belts are designed to be fitted so that the shoulder harness mounts are below (slightly) the tops of the wearers shoulders. A small child will not fit in the belts like this and if she is on a unrestrained booster seat there is the possibility that she will 'submarine' out of the belts in the event of an accident. Even if the booster doesn't move the belt position is likely to cause more injury than it would on an adult.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/5/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Legally yes....however 4 point belts are designed to be fitted so that the shoulder harness mounts are below (slightly) the tops of the wearers shoulders. A small child will not fit in the belts like this and if she is on a unrestrained booster seat there is the possibility that she will 'submarine' out of the belts in the event of an accident. Even if the booster doesn't move the belt position is likely to cause more injury than it would on an adult.

Totally agree ^, your car looks great but just not worth the risk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 21/5/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I took mine from about 6 for an occasional drive but not very far or fast.

I just made sure I was happy that they were well secured and with a booster they seemed to be, though one of the boosters we had didn't work at all due to the shape.

Stu

loggyboy

posted on 21/5/15 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

That's assuming it has a 4 point, it could have a 3 point, which with a booster (with back) would have a pull down to guide the belt to the chest and away from neck.

Mistral Motorsport

Irony

posted on 21/5/15 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't done it and I probably won't but I don't think I'd have a problem putting my 2 year old in his REAR facing seat in the kit. I would have to fabricate ISOFIX fixtures but that would be easy.
jeffw

posted on 21/5/15 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ultimately it is for each and ever one of us to decided if the risk is worth it when it comes to putting a child in a car like this. Just be aware that 4 or 5/6 point harnesses are not designed with booster or child seats in mind and that they will not work in the same way for a child as an adult.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.