Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh FFS why is the modern world so fricking annoying
BenB

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Oh FFS why is the modern world so fricking annoying

Currently life seems to be hell bent against me. In the last week....

1) Amazon Prime auto-enrolled me onto their (different) US scheme so when I cancelled my Amazon Prime (UK) subscription my Amazon Prime (US) subscription kept on going and they charged me $100 for a scheme I couldn't use seeing as Amazon (US) don't do next day delivery to the UK for obvious reasons and you can't view the Amazon Prime (US) instant videos from the UK. Eventually sorted but pain in the arse.

2) I organised a car rental via Rentalcars.com and paid them £179.30. Budget (who they subbed out to) deducted 179.30 Euros from the eventual price and a week later charged me the difference. Both Rentalcars and Budget appear to need it spelling out what the difference is. For some reason sorting this out involves me sending them my signed rental agreement, my bank statements and a copy of the invoice they sent me. Why? It's bleeding obvious what the problem is. It's a relatively small amount of money but they've still ripped me off (taken money from my CC that I didn't owe them) and I want it back on principle.

3) I bought a Withings wifi scale for weight monitoring (turned fat in my old age). It proudly said "Android compatible". What it didn't tell you is that it transpires you need an IOS6 device to set it up. Afterwards you can view the data on an Android device. WTF. The data is available via their website, it can be viewed on anything which can connect to the website.... There's an Android app that connects to the website but so what? Grrrrrrrr. That's not android compatible! That's like saying "Amish compatible" because you can print the fricking graph off on your Iphone and send it to someone in the post. So now I've got to find someone with an Iphone so I can get my "Android compatible" scales to work.

4) I bought something, paid for next day delivery. Waited in all day for Fedex to deliver it. Nothing. Just checked the online tracking. It transpires that allegedly they tried to deliver it this morning at 11.15 and left a card. Yet at 11.15 I was sat next to the door waiting for them and the card they left appears to have been made from anti-matter. And because I've got no card when I rang the depot they said I needed a card for the tracking number. Aaaaaagh.

And just to really wee me off I'm on a bloody diet so have eaten 670 calories all day and got home to find my darling wife has made me a calorie soaked butter and olive oil fish and potato bake that I can't eat because it will blow my diet so now she's got the bleeding hump because I didn't eat the dinner she so lovingly (and thoughtlessly) prepared so I'm going to sleep on 5 fricking crispbreads and a glass of vino.

Has anyone got a calm place I can borrow?

NigeEss

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tut tut, all those calories in vino

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean... some days you are destined not to win...

Like today - my wife and I decided to go out for a drive - just about every traffic light turned to red as we approached, every few miles someone decided to pull out just in front of me causing me to slow down sharply, and every other car seemed determined to drive at 75% of whatever the speed limit was at the time. In the end we were just laughing about it all as there was nothing else we could do, apart from bursting a blood vessel; it was a case of "oh look, another red light", or "I bet he/she is going to pull out in a second", or "I bet that lorry will overtake the other one just as we get to it".

Sometimes you just can't beat sod's law...

theprisioner

posted on 21/5/15 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
On some forums you would be described as a grumpy old man, but you seem quite reasonable to me!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

joneh

posted on 22/5/15 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
I emptied the dyson last week, spent yesterday trying to figure out why it no longer sucks and the freshly cleaned filter is blocked. Turns out I also threw out the Vortex bin insert (massive bright yellow part) and the dustbins have been emptied!
HappyFather

posted on 22/5/15 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Once used rentals.com too and had an issue. The site advertised Hertz would make me a promotion and not charge for the 2nd driver. Hertz charged.
Pressed a complaint, scanned some documents and ended up receiving the claimed amount twice, one from Rentals.com and another from Hertz. Not much money (27€), complained by principle, rewarded by their inept work. May happen the same with you.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/15 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I emptied the dyson last week, spent yesterday trying to figure out why it no longer sucks and the freshly cleaned filter is blocked. Turns out I also threw out the Vortex bin insert (massive bright yellow part) and the dustbins have been emptied!

I can recommend this place for Dyson spares...

britishtrident

posted on 22/5/15 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
The problems with delivery company tracking seems to be getting more wide spread "out for delivery" now means you might get it tomorrow or the next day or the day after. Amazon Prime delivery used to be great now it is c**p

However booking a flight on an budget airline must take the biscuit, I can't decide if Ryanair or Jet2 should get the prize. For all out cheek Jet2's claim of "a massive 22kg baggage allowance when in they have no baggage allowance included in the ticket price and even charge you for printing the ticket out at home!

[Edited on 22/5/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still waiting for a Tesco delivery that was due on Wednesday... Frustrating thing is it's not actually coming to my home, it's a click and collect so it's heading to the store! I chose it that way because it was supposedly more convenient for me to pop out at lunchtime to pick it up, rather than waiting for a courier that (as BT put perfectly) just mark it as out for delivery.

I now bottle up all my frustration and let loose once in a while... i would use a punchbag to 'vent', but I find cold callers are also quite useful... there's certainly enough of them!

whitestu

posted on 22/5/15 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sometimes life conspires to wind you up!

Royal mail seem to be having a good go with us. A pair of sunglasses they delivered were just left on the step so someone could tread on them and several books with 'DO NOT BEND' in red letters on the front get folded in half and pushed through the letter box.

coozer

posted on 22/5/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I thought things were looking up after getting 3 of the 4 parts I ordered from the states..

Then tried eBay click and collect, working fantastic, just picking the bits up at my leisure from Argos. Now I want some more bits but the click and collect option has vanished off eBay!

Booked two holidays with jet2... Baggage is included in the holidays but not the flight only bit, and yes they charge you for printing your own tickets but its cheaper than checking in at the desk!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Then tried eBay click and collect, working fantastic, just picking the bits up at my leisure from Argos. Now I want some more bits but the click and collect option has vanished off eBay!

It's only available if sellers offer it, and to be honest it seems to be creating more hassle than it's worth. Apparently quite a common one is buyers wondering why they have to wait five days. 'If it is at Argos can't I just go and pick it up this afternoon?' is the standard query.

There's something dodgy about returns, apparently the buyer only returns it to Argos then Ebay organise a return from there (which is great for the buyer). But they won't use the cheapest option, and they pass on all costs to the sellers.

coozer

posted on 22/5/15 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
We'll I bought some mx5 bits off one seller and some other bits off another, went back t the same sellers for more, click and collect gone, its also gone from the options on the left side under buy it now....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gaz_gaz

posted on 22/5/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
#firstworldproblems
K13JOB

posted on 22/5/15 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

2) I organised a car rental via Rentalcars.com and paid them £179.30. Budget (who they subbed out to) deducted 179.30 Euros from the eventual price and a week later charged me the difference. Both Rentalcars and Budget appear to need it spelling out what the difference is. For some reason sorting this out involves me sending them my signed rental agreement, my bank statements and a copy of the invoice they sent me. Why? It's bleeding obvious what the problem is. It's a relatively small amount of money but they've still ripped me off (taken money from my CC that I didn't owe them) and I want it back on principle.

As you paid by CC you are automatically covered by CC insurance and can claim the refund via them.

morcus

posted on 22/5/15 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I'd notice deliveries of pretty much everything was getting worse, glad I'm not the only one. Personally I think a lot of it is the move away from proper delivery companies with vans to normal people turning up in cars.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

joneh

posted on 22/5/15 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by joneh

I can recommend this place for Dyson spares...

Thanks, I've already ordered one but i think I saw them on eBay as well.

alistairolsen

posted on 4/6/15 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
You should try dealing with Sky's broadband 'customer service'!

My Build Thread

Macbeast

posted on 4/6/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I got my life back today.

12-hour power cut meant no computer / no internet.
You wouldn't believe how much I got done by 10 am - Sainsbury's, clean bathroom, do crossword ( well start it any way ) make bed and sort laundry.

It's back now so that's the evening buggered

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/6/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I'm still waiting for a Tesco delivery that was due on Wednesday...

I'm still waiting for a Peugeot delivery that was due the middle of april

Hodor

posted on 5/6/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
You should try dealing with Sky's broadband 'customer service'!

My missus works in sky's broadband tech support. I deal with it every day! To be fair, it's the luck of the draw which handler you get. Seems that some pretty much stick to the script whereas the good ones use their intuition and think about the problem at hand.

dave

posted on 6/6/15 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
HMRC, spend 25 minutes on phone answering automated questions then the bloody think tells me they are to busy to deal with my call.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.