Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch alignment tool
chris68

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch alignment tool

What do you guys use to centre/align the clutch on reassembly either on the bench or in situ? Looking for a tool or technique for use with standard single plate clutches.

There seems to be so many variants of the same idea around.

Cheers

omega0684

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Use an old gearbox input shaft

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a cheapskate, so I've always just used the gearbox itself. Align clutch as best as you can by eye, nip the pressure plate bolts up so the clutch plate can just be moved with a little force, fit 'box to engine wiggling to align plate as necessary, separate, then do up pressure plate bolts fully. A bit harder if the box is still in the car, but it's always worked for me.
SCAR

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Last one I did I made an alignment tool out of a bit of wood (old brush handle). Took just 15 min to shape it with a decent file and some rough sandpaper, worked perfect.
kj

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Got one in the garage £10 delived UK, no good to me now BEC

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

40inches

posted on 26/5/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used this one link on the Jag clutch, worked perfectly.
austin man

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
old school me bit of dowel and tape or even an extension bar with insulation tape wrapped around it to the size of the crank open end and the clutch place centre never let me down

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

perksy

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Draper one and it cost about £7
You can put the clutch together as an assembly on the bench and then fit it to the flywheel if you want.

benchmark51

posted on 26/5/15 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've used allsorts of methods over the years, but currently use the draper one. Works well, prices vary but cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52329-Brand-New-Draper-Clutch-Mate-Universal-Alignment-Tool-/400295126312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3372e528

pewe

posted on 27/5/15 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
I've used allsorts of methods over the years, but currently use the draper one. Works well, prices vary but cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52329-Brand-New-Draper-Clutch-Mate-Universal-Alignment-Tool-/400295126312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3372e528

Second that - also available under other brand names.
Allows you to visually check the alignment of the pressure plate and friction disc before screwing it all up really tight, then offering it up to the flywheel.
If none of the inserts matches your exact requirement some masking tape wrapped around the split collar ensures a snug fit - just make sure it comes out when you release it after fitting!
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10.

chris68

posted on 27/5/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Just a question using the Draper tool - having got the spring plate and friction plate all centred using this tool are you then able to locate it all on the flywheel with the spigot bearing in place?
David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't get in with the Draper thing - in the end I turned one up on my lathe from a length of steel bar. It's still in my garage, in an oily bag!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't get in with the Draper thing - in the end I turned one up on my lathe from a length of steel bar. It's still in my garage, in an oily bag!

perksy

posted on 27/5/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris68
Thanks all. Just a question using the Draper tool - having got the spring plate and friction plate all centred using this tool are you then able to locate it all on the flywheel with the spigot bearing in place?

Yes, the adaptor you choose fits into the centre of the clutch plate (There's a few adaptors in the kit)
You centre the clutch plate up with the pressure plate and fit the assembled clutch alignment tool, Tighten it up and it 'clamps' the pressure plate and clutch plate together.
You can then offer the assembled clutch kit up to the flywheel and bolt it in place.
Bolt it in place, release the pressure on the clutch alignment tool and Bob's your uncle....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.