Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 Throttle Bodies - Lowest cost options?
MilesBuilder

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
MX-5 Throttle Bodies - Lowest cost options?

Hi, I have a general question about throttle bodies...

I'm getting back into my GBS Zero GT build. It has a Mazda 1.8 MK2 donor, and as the stock air plenum does not fit in the GBS frame, i think I need throttle bodies.

I received a quote from Jenvey, nice kit, but was a lot more than I paid for the whole donor car, at around £1400. GBS offer an ATR DCOE 45mm diameter throttle body kit for similar money I think but difficult to see what is required along with the basic kit.

What have others done for a mazda engine for throttle bodies? Maybe bike engine 45mm diameter ITB?

I have assembled a mega squirt ECU.
I will have a look in MX5nuts website now to see there for any suggestions.

any help welcome,

Thanks,
Miles.

PorkChop

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
You won't find many TB builds on Nutz; they're generally accepted as one of the final tuning steps as the OEM inlet isn't too bad at all, plus they lend themselves more to FI.

Blink Motorsport will supply a TB kit, but they usually follow the above, but they might be able to put something together for you. They're Jenveys IIRC. Skuzzle Motorsport also put together a high power 1600 with bike TBs but there was a lot of other stuff in that engine too.

SJ

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
A fabricated manifold and bike TBs will be your cheapest option.
Slimy38

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
A fabricated manifold and bike TBs will be your cheapest option.

Pretty much what I was going to say, following a similar process to the various Zetec/Duratec TB builds. So 600cc TB's, custom manifold and MS (which you already have)?

I think it's a sensible route if you're considering a lack of space, and I have to admit I love the noise (I would be tempted just on that basis!). But it's not going to give too much of a boost, hence it not being an overly popular solution.

Here's a typical nutz thread;

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99345

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
GSXR 750 throttle bodies from a 2001 Suzuki have the same internal dim as Jenveys.

They easily split into individual TB's so ideal for respacing.

Mine are installed into a manifold custom made by Fastdan of this forum.

You will see some pics of my Duratec set up in my archive.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

FASTdan

posted on 3/6/15 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

We can do you the same kit as below, but to suit your engine for the same price:

Ford Duratec 1.8/2.0/2.3 Bike Throttle Bodies Kit GSXR1000 42mm *STARTER PACK* 2

Or, if you would prefer to do it in kit form we can supply any of the components individually. Drop me an email dan@danstengineering.co.uk.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SPYDER

posted on 3/6/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
GSXR 750 throttle bodies from a 2001 Suzuki have the same internal dim as Jenveys.

They easily split into individual TB's so ideal for respacing.

This is what I did. I respaced them to suit the 3SGE Toyota engine. This also allowed me to re-use my DCOE type K&Ns.
I cut the flange from a standard manifold and made the rest myself. I knocked up a sort of jig to hold the lot in position for welding.
The bodies cost £100. The silicon hose and jubilees £30. The rest cost buttons.

OP...These bodies may be oversized for your 1.8 engine. As already stated, 600cc type might be better suited. I would try to get re-spaceable ones. A perfectly straight inlet has to be better than a kinked one.

MilesBuilder

posted on 4/6/15 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to all for replies. Superb feedback.
The bike TB seems the lower cost way to go.
I would have to pull too many favours in our tool room for some self designed turned and welded ally work, and I'd be worried I would not know how to modify linkages and fuel delivery pipes; but looks the best low cost solution by far.
I will email FastDan soon, and go from there.
I can see this is going to be the complex part of this build, my deviation away from stock MX-5 air plenum and stock ecu, and going to throttle bodies and a megaSquirt (V2 I think) self soldered ecu (assembled not tested yet). I need a college course just to get all the variables in the mapping tune understood. It will be crying out for a DOE design of experiments to optimize it I think. but starting with a suggested map from a forum.
I knew I should have gone with GBS' suggestion of a 1.6 donor (where plenums fits), not the 1.8.

Many thanks,
Miles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.