Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failed IVA - steering not returning to centre.
SJ

posted on 12/7/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I tested the car yesterday, still no change unfortunately. I feel that passing IVA is going to be impossible and I have a very expensive pile of scrap metal sitting in my garage.

Before you loose hope, have you driven anybody else's car to see how it centres?

When I built my MK it had no self centring and I got it through the SVA using springs in the rack, which is clearly a bodg and i removed them afterwards. I subsequently modified my top wishbones and tested the car with upto 9 degrees of castor, and even that doesn't make it feel like a production car.

Some will say this is because the MK chassis isn't rigid enough. That may be true, but it seems to me that most of these cars have some issues with this.

I think you need to modify the top wishbones and then do whatever other bodges you need to get through the IVA.

On my tester the tester really only wanted the car to show some attempt to centre and wasn't too bothered how it actually steered.

Stu

loggyboy

posted on 12/7/15 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Its more than just caster that needs to be checked/adjusted. The kingpin inclination (sai), wheel offset, camber can all have noticable affects.

Mistral Motorsport

tony c

posted on 12/10/17 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
fury - steering wont return to centre

Hi Steve

just noticed a very old text from you about self centering

Something worth trying - if your top wishbone has two sets of mounting holes onto the chassis, try mounting in the inner holes not the outer as this alters the King pin inclination angle and will assist the self centering.

cheers

Tony

jps

posted on 12/10/17 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hope he hasn't gone 2 years without sorting it!
zx12r dug

posted on 12/10/17 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've gone through 5 iva test now 4 mks and 1 sonic7 uno turbo powered car have always got the steering somewhere near but just to help it I've always fitted some valve springs inside the rack yeah it hinders your lock slightly but it certainly returns the steering wheel
SteveDown

posted on 13/10/17 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted thanks... got it through with the valve springs fitted, worked a treat.
steve m

posted on 13/10/17 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Im intrigued how a valve spring can self centre a steering defect

as in my mind self centering will happen at any point, ie 5 or 10% off central (the spring is not any were near being touched)

and if self centering is required, it MUST be from any point in the steering, not only from lock to lock

or am I missing something here

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 13/10/17 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
The car is tested on full lock , the steering wheel is then released and the car has to be seen to show at least some self centring or at least that's how I remember it.
zx12r dug

posted on 13/10/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Same here only tested full lock to lock yeah its not ideal but we do what we can to get that pass and number plate
steve m

posted on 13/10/17 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, noted

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.