Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice Wanted - Solar Panels on Business Roofing
Steve Hignett

posted on 14/7/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Advice Wanted - Solar Panels on Business Roofing

H All,

I've just started working at a new place and whilst I've had no luck in transforming a temp job into permanent in the last 18 months, I'm not giving up and I'm hoping that this current place is one that I'll stick at as it's right up my street!

Anyway, I'm trying to tackle a whole host of mini projects that have been thrown my way (on my first day!), and one of them is whether it would be a benefit to have Solar Panels installed on the roof...

Can people with experience of having them fitted or looked into yourself pass comments in a Pro's and Con's manner to enable me to have some insight, or any suggestions of where I could be looking for my research etc, that would also be helpful!

It's an industrial unit with a normal apex roof, and at a quick guess, would say it's 45m x 55m...

Are there still cowboys out there, and if so, who do I avoid and who should I go with?

Business is in Winsford, Cheshire.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

INDY BIRD

posted on 14/7/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi steve

you should check out ikea for this they have a company they work with, and lots of info about it,

and as far as I remember one of the largest companies that manufacture the solar panels etc

Steve Hignett

posted on 14/7/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks IB, but I called to be told that they are domestic rather than commercial panel fitters/suppliers...

Does anyone else have any experience at all, please?

thanks in advance, as always!

Steve.

coozer

posted on 14/7/15 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
There was a news program on a while ago where a manufacturing company filled the flat roof of the factory with panels to help reduce costs.

The upshot was they actually made more money from the feed in tariff than the margin on the manufacturing business!

Theres a field beside the A1 north of Newark thats just been turned into a solar collector with hundreds of panels.

There must be a commercial installer you can talk to about the pro's and con's..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ivan

posted on 14/7/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
First quick check is the obvious one - is the roof shaded by other buildings or trees at any time of the day or season - it can have a huge impact on efficiency.

Can't help otherwise as not from UK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.