Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: age of engine??
lugo35

posted on 5/12/04 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
age of engine??

hi how do i date my engine , its rover v8. what details do i need for SVA? is there a web site to get the information i need . i have contacted the rangerover register and they have dated the engine but i have no proof of this just an email. cheers andy
AdamR

posted on 9/1/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread on the V8 forum. This may or may not be useful - there are links to scanned Rover/LR documents mapping engine number to age, but for my 3.9 this only narrowed it down to a period of within 6 years!

Could you tell me how you got your engine dated (I'll be needing to do the same)? An email from an official looking email address may be enough to convince Mr SVA...

JoelP

posted on 9/1/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
an official looking receipt stating that the engine has been reconditioned to an 'as new' standard would avoid any reference to the engines age, wouldnt it?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

AdamR

posted on 10/1/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
an official looking receipt stating that the engine has been reconditioned to an 'as new' standard would avoid any reference to the engines age, wouldnt it?

Not really. I want my engine to be old (within reason)! If it is post '95, the SVA requires that cats are fitted (doesn't it?). I jumped to the conclusion that's why Andy was asking too...

[Edited on 10/1/05 by AdamR]

JoelP

posted on 10/1/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i was wrong, but in a different way to what you think! i meant that he could get a new reg plate, ie 54 etc, but of course you would still need to prove the age of the engine for emissions...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

NS Dev

posted on 11/1/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have an addditional question on this one!

This is a slightly strange scenario, but here goes:

I am using a vauxhall engine (XE 16v) in my Seven. I have an engine from a donor for which I have the logbook (not in my name though, and I got it ages ago so I'm reluctant to try now as the car was long since scrapped!), but no receipt and cannot trace the previous owner(s) to try and get one. I have a receipt for a later 16v (which I use in my grasser)

I plan to use the receipt as proof of purchase of the EARLIER engine come registration time, but hope to use the logbook to prove the age of the engine for emissions purposes!

If you have followed all this you will realise that my problem is that the reciept is dated BEFORE the last change of owner on the logbook. Will this get picked up, I thought not as the SVA and Reg are separate?

Opinions??????

Marcus

posted on 11/1/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
To prove the age of my engine which I purchased after my donor (with no receipt!!) I sent the donor log book back to DVLA with a change of engine number, cc and owner! I had had the donor scrapped 12 months earlier, but kept the log book. I got the new style log book back in 5 days with all the details changed. Mr SVA then accepted the year of manufacture of the car as the year of the engine, no worries.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/1/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Rover Hertiiage should be able to help.
wicket

posted on 11/2/05 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I posted my request for engine age confirmation to the Ford Tech Dept Wednesday lunch time this week and received the confirmation letter at 8 o'clock this morning.
What brilliant service and all for free !

Snuggs

posted on 11/2/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Rimmer Bros catalogue contains a detailed list of RV8 engine numbers.
SVA testers will accept this as proof of age.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.