Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It's not rocket science
ken555

posted on 23/7/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's not rocket science

Nasa documents for electrical connection etc. Always worth a read. Page 80 is great for joining cables.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 23/7/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Page 46 mentions cable ties and spiral wrap.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coyoteboy

posted on 23/7/15 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's a part of my day job. ESA have similar docs. I keep copies of both on my desk for reference!

scootz

posted on 23/7/15 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I guess these standards explain why NASA can land craft on comets gazillions of miles away, yet I can barely make an lighting connection last a winter!

It's Evolution Baby!

ste

posted on 23/7/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Very outdated stuff on there. I work on Eurofighters and most joints are crimped as they are more reliable.
coyoteboy

posted on 24/7/15 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Not out of date, you may just have missed the fact that crimps are used but that there are significantly more constraining design drivers in space hardware. There is a general reluctance to use new kit if old kit/methods are proven to work flawlessly though I give you that. But that's generally because space builds are one-off, mentally high value and there's no one rushing you to find a faster, cheaper way of producing something that has to work flawlessly in the vacuum of space, swinging between -200 and +200 many times a day and can never be inspected, replaced, bypassed etc. NASA/ESA test things like this as they come available in projects and update as soon as a better solution or method is available and qualified.

The vibration requirements for MIL/plane hardware is pretty harsh, duration-wise, our vibration is limited to a few minutes, after that loadings are largely thermal induced or self generated.

What crimps are used on the Eurofighter and in what sort of locations?

Check out the ESA crimping standards for more fun reading.

[Edited on 24/7/15 by coyoteboy]

lsdweb

posted on 24/7/15 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Very interesting - thanks for posting the link!

I wouldn't get past page 25 unfortunately (colour vision test!)

Wyn

Irony

posted on 24/7/15 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
This is a great thread. It should be stickied at the top of the electrical section. It is great to have some sort of a official document regarding this much argued over topic. Thanks guys.

P.S I'm a crimper by the way.

ste

posted on 27/7/15 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

What crimps are used on the Eurofighter and in what sort of locations?

[Edited on 24/7/15 by coyoteboy]

Technical drawings I can't post as they are covered under the official secrets act.

Some off the internet here

http://www.peigenesis.com/en/amphenol-connectors/amphenol-sjt-series-mil-dtl-38999-type-1-5.html#contact-crimping

I fully understand why the methods are used for space, it takes a lot to qualify parts and techniques for aerospace

coyoteboy

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, good old amphenols - fairly commonly used but massively over-sized for the bulk of our work! (we do mainly subsystems, not harnessing) Customers generally specify D-sub connectors, often Positronic, but usually crimp terms - we just provide the black boxes and/or harnesses to suit. I'd still say 50% of the larger connectors we use are solder-bucket types, and wicking is controlled, plus additional strain relief in the form of heat shrink or separate support struts used. Plus it's normal for us to tie down at ~50mm intervals on large harnesses.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/7/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 29/7/15 by coyoteboy]

DaveFJ

posted on 31/7/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting that they specify that ty-wraps should always have the 'ribbed' side touching the wires.

When I was working on military helicopters we had to use 'special' ty-wraps with an external ratchet so that the ribs did not fret the wires......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.