Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quantum Xtreme bonnet catch replacement
AlexXtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Quantum Xtreme bonnet catch replacement

Hi,
The catches have worn on my bonnet and one of the springs seemed to have corroded to a pile of dust whilst I have been doing some repair work. The others all drop out when released and as such I have lost one
The ones I have use allen key with a 1/4 of a turn to release and are spring loaded.
Where can I get replacements? I have searched everywhere but can not find anything on the web :-(.
Alternative suggestions welcome as long as I can at least cover or use the same screw holes.
Thanks
Alex

loggyboy

posted on 3/8/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Post a picture, I suspect they will be off the shelf jobs and someone will know!

Mistral Motorsport

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
good idea - will do tomorrow!
loggyboy

posted on 3/8/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Your description sounds like Dzus

Mistral Motorsport

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
any of these:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/search?q=dzus

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Sorry none of those match what I have - looking at other Xtreme's on the web, they have the same style of catch

I have added some pics of the fittings here.. the first one is not so good but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Looking at them, they do need replacing.... another of the never ending jobs I seem to have atm :-)

Alex

https://plus.google.com/photos/108950503714571978236/albums/6178855009448064689

[Edited on 3/8/15 by AlexXtreme]

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/8/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Never seen any like that before! Both my xtreme's had/have the ones with the big flat head screwdriver face to twist the fastner with.
sssline

posted on 3/8/15 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Look pretty much like the ones that Quantum still use, have you tried contacting Mark?

http://www.quantumcars.eu/

Cheers
Tony. R

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swkitcars/

40inches

posted on 4/8/15 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
These are the nearest I can find Link
AlexXtreme

posted on 4/8/15 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, thanks for the suggestion and I'm sure it would work fine however however I would have rivet holes showing with this fitting.
AlexXtreme

posted on 4/8/15 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tony,

I have tried contacting Mark from Quantum on previous occasions and each time have waited so long for a response I have had to source else where or he has not got them in stock. I will try again as a last resort as they must be supplied by someone in the industry ;-)!

Thanks for every ones suggestions

Cheers
Alex

simonrh

posted on 4/8/15 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have standard Dzus-type ones on mine with the big flat head.
AlexXtreme

posted on 4/8/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Simon,

I will check the Dzus ones and see if the holes line up or at least covers the original plates.

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 4/8/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've not spoken to Mark for a part in a long time. but on the website it does say he prefers to be emailed, just in case you have only been calling.

I think the Q brand is not is top priority at all anymore, I also think I MB motorsport has gone too if you have a read of the facebook page here:

http://www.mbmotor-sport.com/

AlexXtreme

posted on 6/8/15 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Found them - took a bit of searching though

http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/products/quick-release-fasteners/push-turn-fasteners/item/3601-series-hex-recess-head-steel-zinc-plated

They have quite a selection there! Also asked Mark for a quote if he has them in stock. Will be interesting to see when I get an answer :-)

Chris, what companies does mark have as the spar parts company is only available on ebay?

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 6/8/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've never used his ebay shop.

probably 3yrs a go I got some spares from Mark, I emailed and then spoke to him, was all pretty quick. I think the kit car scene for the companies seems to have gone a bit off the boil and thus they are all doing it on the side.

I got mirrors, headlamp brackets and some brackets for the side screens to fix onto the windscreen. He did have them all in stock back then and was very helpful. Back before I had kids and could get out to shows etc, I met him a couple of times and he was a decent bloke.

Have to say anything that isn't Xtreme specific I have just bought from an online shop etc rather than going back to Mark.

the guys on the http://www.quantumowners.co.uk/ might know more.

It is a bit of a concern as my bonnet is starting to crack, at leas the gel coat and if the time comes to get a new one, will it be available....

cheers, Chris

[Edited on 6/8/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

AlexXtreme

posted on 6/8/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

I have the same concerns regarding replacements... he did tell me he still had the moulds though.

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 6/8/15 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
and I do recall hearing that the hole design etc was on CAD so that should be ok too!

And Mark is still advertising it as a new kit.. I know a couple are new over the last few years.

It's a shame as I think the Xtreme is an awesome bit of kit if you are after a slightly larger 7 style car, ie one I can fit in and is easy to work on / build. A bit more promotion might get more sold, but that is money..

AlexXtreme

posted on 10/8/15 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris, I do part of my work in the boat building business, and as long as your bonnet is not too crazed, any decent boat builder or moulded to make a new one from it - much cheaper than machining from scratch - and more likely to fit as I expect the originals were not machined moulds.

FYI Speciality Fastners have a very good range but are not geared up for dealing with public / small order - min order £25 so although I only need 4 - they were going to supply me 15 sets to get to £25 + postage + VAT!

Anyway mark did get back to me and although he is out of the office, he has some rattling round his desk and will post them to me the week after next.

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 10/8/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
cool - good tip too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.