Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any networking experts??
gregs

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Any networking experts??

All - i've got really rubbish (<0.5mb/s) broadband, so have gone to 4G.

In order to do this i've got a D-Link 921 4G router.

However, the antennas for the router will go outside (indoor antenna only giving me 3G).

As such I need to use my exsisting router (Netgear 2200) to keep it's WiFi duties.

Question is how to set them up together...

Only way i've got it working so far is to set IP addresses the same on both routers, but this has some side effects.....

Hope someone can give me pointers...

GregS

ChrisW

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
DGN2200 is an xDSL router, it's not suitable for ethernet connectivity. Also, do not (ever!) set two devices to the same IP address.

What you need is an access point, not a router. However an ethernet router (usually used for cable TV broadband) would work but is not ideal as you will have double-NAT going on which can upset some applications.

IF you can disable DHCP and change the IP address of the DGN2200 it might be possible to use it as an access point BUT you need to know what you are doing. Much easier just to buy the proper box for the job. Access points start at £20 for a cheapy and go up to several hundred for enterprise grade ones.

EDIT to add: eBay Item. That should sell for under £20 inc postage and will do the job perfectly. I use three of them at home to cover the entire house, garden and detached garage albeit running modified firmware.

Chris

[Edited on 7/8/2015 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
You are probably best ditching your existing router and using purpose built access point or repeater.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 7/8/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
DGN2200 is an xDSL router, it's not suitable for ethernet connectivity. Also, do not (ever!) set two devices to the same IP address.

What you need is an access point, not a router. However an ethernet router (usually used for cable TV broadband) would work but is not ideal as you will have double-NAT going on which can upset some applications.

IF you can disable DHCP and change the IP address of the DGN2200 it might be possible to use it as an access point BUT you need to know what you are doing. Much easier just to buy the proper box for the job. Access points start at £20 for a cheapy and go up to several hundred for enterprise grade ones.

Chris

Yes some of those sub £20 WiFi access points/repeaters work surprisingly well.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

obfripper

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
This guide will help if you want to reuse your old router.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

Dave

gregs

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW

EDIT to add: eBay Item. That should sell for under £20 inc postage and will do the job perfectly. I use three of them at home to cover the entire house, garden and detached garage albeit running modified firmware.

Chris

[Edited on 7/8/2015 by ChrisW]

Sorted thanks - Netgear router will serve as an access point once DCHP is disabled (exactly as you suggested) - done and works great. Thanks for your help.

GregS

ali f27

posted on 7/8/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just read this thread and had my thoughts confirmed most of this technology is actually pretty crap

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.