Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I use Ford engine and components with VW steering column?
villagehoppa

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Can I use Ford engine and components with VW steering column?

Hi All, just mulling through a few questions in my head and could really do with a hand to answer one of them. I'm planning on using my Ford Focus Mk2 as a donor, engine/gearbox/cluster etc but don't like the steering wheel/column/swithches etc!! Would it be possible to use one from a VW Up and get it to talk to the electrical system? I'm planning on a custom loom so does anyone see any potential problems? Thanks in advance all...
theprisioner

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on weather you are using the Ford ECU as the PAT's wiring and sensor needs to be connected?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

villagehoppa

posted on 3/9/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance, what are PAT wiring and sensors? As the car will be mid engined, sports orientated, do you think the Ford ecu would be best or get a better programmerable one?.. Thanks for the reply...
monkeyarms

posted on 3/9/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
PATS = Passive Anti Theft (immobiliser)

The question of is the Ford ECU best is difficult to answer.
Pros-
Cheap if with donor
No roaling road set up required
Loom should be with donor car
good engine characteristics, smooth easy to start ect
built in immobiliser!

Cons
limited tuning potential
no flexability for future parts upgrade (ITBs, turbo ect)

Im sure others could add to the lists

theprisioner

posted on 3/9/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
The only reason I mentioned it was that I retained the original ECU and the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) which was one of the benefits of retaining the Ford ECU. If you use one of the later ECU's they can be tuned for more power. Mine was tuned by a PumaSpeed memory upgrade. There are advantages of the Ford ECU in that you can use the original engine wiring loom and sensors including the throttle body. If you go down the aftermarket ECU and Throttle Body route then it will be at a cost and I doubt very much better performance unless you tune the engine. I did the best of both worlds getting 155bhp from a Ford Sigma 1.7L enigine doing a fast road cam and porting. I get 50Mpg on a run (not on the track tho).

Recent trip to Anglesay race track:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qg6p8yzjppdqlrg/AAB8MaInXUZ1-0uJDquz0V4Ta?dl=0

My point is you don't have to spend a fortune to get good performance.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 3/9/15 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think (though am often wrong) that the UP has electric power steering . Thats built into the column so you might be adding a whole load of (unnecessary) complecity into the job using it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

villagehoppa

posted on 3/9/15 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, ok, got you... I'll have to look a bit more in to the UP setup but if it's just the column on to a normal non powered steering rack then shouldn't be a problem, hopefully! Would wiring the stalks cause any problems do you think? Still pondering on the ecu situation as not yet fully understanding what I want from the car but thank you for the answers... Do I need a pat's system or could I find a different way of immobiliser?
DW100

posted on 3/9/15 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
VW UP! does have an electric power steering column and as Addi says it may be more trouble than it is worth.

I can't find a wiring diagram either on Audodata online or my copy of Elsawin (VW OE technical data) but it is likely that the column switches are multiplexed and communicate with the body control unit (which does all the actual switching) via CAN BUS.

Not saying it can't be done but may be easier to stick with something more proven in a kit car.

[Edited on 3/9/15 by DW100]

monkeyarms

posted on 4/9/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by villagehoppa
..............Do I need a pat's system or could I find a different way of immobiliser?

Are you in the UK, building a car to be road going?

For IVA you need 1 form of security - See Section 13A Anti theft / Immobiliser. (page 113 fo the PDF file)

Basically steering lock will do, or an immobiliser. But you do need to be consulting the manual as you plan your build. Not at the end of the build!

MikeRJ

posted on 4/9/15 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by villagehoppa
Ahh, ok, got you... I'll have to look a bit more in to the UP setup but if it's just the column on to a normal non powered steering rack then shouldn't be a problem, hopefully! Would wiring the stalks cause any problems do you think? Still pondering on the ecu situation as not yet fully understanding what I want from the car but thank you for the answers... Do I need a pat's system or could I find a different way of immobiliser?

On a lot of modern cars the stalks are connected to a body control module which actually does the all the high power switching. If this is the case with the UP, then the stalk switches may not be suitable for connecting controlling relays etc. directly.

snowy2

posted on 6/9/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Short answer .......YES will it be a simple swap? Well not hard anyway....but since you are asking .....i suspect its not going to easy for you as i am betting your knollege of electrics is basic and your going to need a bit more than basic knowledge to convert the switches

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.