Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Worn bores or rings?
Monty2556

posted on 10/9/15 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Worn bores or rings?

My 1600 xflow smokes considerably from the rocket box. I've tried everything (mostly from suggestions from this site together with local mechanics) and I've come to the conclusion it's the bores/rings. Which one is likely to go first? I'm on a limited budget so if I can get away with a new set of rings I'll do it. I'll be selling the car next spring so I don't want to go to the expense of a rebore, new pistons, rings etc
steve m

posted on 10/9/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
One of my xflows engines has the same problem, and its probably a combination of rings and bores
also if it pumping out of the top, and dipstick it could be over filled with oil,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

snapper

posted on 11/9/15 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's never just one thing, rings are very hard so it's likely the bores are affected
You'll have to remove the Pistons to check and the first thing to look for is a ridge at the top off the bore, if there is just slapping some rings in will mean the first run at high revs and the top ring will hit the ridge and do damage.
You have to remove this with a ridge reamer.
When installing new rings you need to hone the bore properly or the rings won't bed in and engine will smoke just like before.
When pistons are out you to check the bore to see if it's oval, it probably is due to the power stroke forcing the piston down harder on one side of the bore than it does on return side.
IMHO there is no guaranteed simple solution
Sorry

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Theshed

posted on 11/9/15 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a skint teenager - as opposed to a skint old git - these http://www.cordsduaflex.com/whycords.html

were the bodge of choice. They have a special stepped top ring to avoid any ridge and then a load of highly sprung segment rings to take up the wear. They are probably a good temporary fix for your problems.

micksalt

posted on 11/9/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had a lot of luck with Ametech Engine Restore in the bit of a lemon of a Punto HGT I bought. Before treatment, it was using between the max and min mark of the dipstick in just a 70 mile trip. After the treatment, it went down to 250 ml per 1000 miles, which was JUST within the manufacturer's tolerance. I got 3 years out of that car using this treatment at every oil change before the oil consumption (amongst other things) was just too much. Still, it was either a £2k rebuild, or three years of using this stuff at £25 a shot, every 6 months, thus saving myself £1850 since the rest of the car was knackered by this point.
chillis

posted on 11/9/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have you made sure all the breathers are clear including the oil filler. If you have one of those silly k&n style breather filters throw it in the bin they worse than nothing at all.
Rings are hard and they can break and the oil control ring can get gunged up and cease to function. The bores will wear over time and a rebore with new pistons and rings will be the only real solution if you wish to retain the xflo engine

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Paul Turner

posted on 11/9/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monty2556
My 1600 xflow smokes considerably from the rocket box.

Lost me in the first sentance.

What is actually smoking, is it the 1600 x-flow or the rocket box.

avagolen

posted on 11/9/15 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I Think that's "Rocker Box"

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.