Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec SE Clutch switch
JC

posted on 20/9/15 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE Clutch switch

Hi all,

My donor Fiesta (96 1.25 Zetec SE) had a clutch switch - a simple plunger operated by the pedal. It will be a faff to incorporate it, either as it was or by using a hydraulic brake switch instead.

On the Haynes ECU diagram, it shows this switch as an alternate to the automatic transmission start inhibitor.

Is its function solely to prevent starting unless the clutch is depressed - in which case I will wire it permanently 'on', or does it do other things that will cause be issues if it is bypassed?

Thanks

JC

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 20/9/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Should have no connection with the starter inhibit relay.

The reading I've done suggests that it increases the rpm a little via the idle control valve when your sat at a junction ect. ie its a load switch like the heated windows and ac.
I am always happy to be put right if some one knows different.

Just check if the switch is normally open or normally closed. I cant remember what way around it is.
If its N/o just remove the pin and if its N/c I think from memory you just add it to the earths.

Either way you don't need to add anything to the car.

[Edited on 20/9/15 by big_wasa]

JC

posted on 20/9/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - thinking back, when I had the engine running I think I had to 'make' the switch for it to start. I might just wire a toggle switch on the dash to add to the start sequence and also double as an extra immobiliser!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monkeyarms

posted on 21/9/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
HI, I have done 2 zetec SE installs and big wasa is spot on.

Just connect the wire to earth. no problems.

Same if there is power steering on the donor car, there is a presure swtich, again wire to earth.

The Ford TIS is helpful here (if you can find it)

JC

posted on 21/9/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
cool, thanks
big_wasa

posted on 21/9/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've never seen the brake or clutch needing depressing to start on a manual trans' Ford upto and including 2004 before.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.