Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Xflow engine value
Adamirish

posted on 1/10/15 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Xflow engine value

Hi, my car will be going off the road as of this weekend and have been considering a change to a zetec. I am trying to work out the costs. Obviously selling my Xflow will pay for it/ease the pain.

Having conflicting advice I'd like to know what you guys in the know think.

It's a 711m 1700 built by Corten Miller in Nottingham. It was a fresh build for when the car was built in 2007. I have spoken to Corten Miller since buying the car but the engine predates there kept records but they do know the previous owner but can't tell me exactly what went into the build.

The engine has done around 10000 miles.

Spec I'm not entirely sure of as yet.
711m6015 block
It is running weber twin 40's with twin cable linkage and choke block
Unknown cam, I have roughly measured valve lift at around 11mm.
Double valve springs
Steel rocker shaft
High pressure oil pump. 69psi cold at tick over. Iirc consistent 45psi@2000rpm warm, tick over 30psi
Running mapped ignition using an omex 100ecu and ford edis coilpack
Low temp thermostat even on the hottest summers day never gets above 75deg maybe 80deg in heavy traffic
Rev limiter set to 7400rpm powerband between 4-7000rpm(maybe helps with cam ID?)
Cold compression test shows between 205-210psi across the board
Modified low profile sump
Duplex timing gear

Supposedly had headwork and big valves though impossible to say but the previous owner was correct about everything else on the car so no reason to doubt that.
My uncle has driven it, he used to have a Westfield with a 1700 Xflow, the same box and diff as mine. His was dyno'd at 125bhp. He says mine is a lot quicker than his ever was. So conservatively say 135bhp+

Either the sump gasket is leaking or the rear crank seal so the engine is coming out shortly so can sort it. While I am there I will try and ID the cam, rods and Pistons.

The engine is absolutely perfect(bar the oil leak), it has never had so much as a stutter since I have owned it.

I understand without knowing exactly what is inside it's difficult to value but what is a ball park figure do you think? As I say, while doing the sump I will do some investigation, also for the price of a headgasket it may be worth pulling the head off to measure the valves etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Adam

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

RoyM

posted on 2/10/15 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - if you get a value sorted I may be interested in a purchase - away Saturday for 3 weeks though!

If it helps the non standard ones I've seen on what vary from around £500. A low mile caterham 1700 went for about £600 but without carbs. Anything over £1000 seems to stick!

Roy

Adamirish

posted on 2/10/15 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoyM
Hi - if you get a value sorted I may be interested in a purchase - away Saturday for 3 weeks though!

If it helps the non standard ones I've seen on what vary from around £500. A low mile caterham 1700 went for about £600 but without carbs. Anything over £1000 seems to stick!

Roy

No problem at all, I will let you know. If it does go then it won't be for a few weeks yet anyway. I will keep you in the loop.

Thanks for your input.

If it helps with valuation, when/if it goes it will be a pretty much ready to bolt in job lot, engine, ecu loom etc.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Dick Axtell

posted on 2/10/15 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I recently sold a 1600 GT xflow, 711 block, big valve head with stellite valve seats, and original Weber d/d carb. Got £380 - for a fairly std (slightly modded) engine.

I would estimate the value, of an engine with your spec, £500+ - without the carbs. For the whole package, I reckon £750+. It all depends (as ever) on how many potential buyers there are.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

lsdweb

posted on 2/10/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help with the value but you may be better off leaving the engine in the car for prospective buyers to see it running, see healthy oil pressure etc..

Wyn

Adamirish

posted on 2/10/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, it's all food for thought.

Does anybody know of a set of jenvey/omex 45's for sale? That's the big hold back for me at the moment is the cost of TB's. I could go down the bike TB route but I have always wanted to run a proper set of TB's.

Again, thanks for the advice, much appreciated

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Fandango

posted on 2/10/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
You have u2u

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

RoyM

posted on 19/10/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Seen this? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131625574501&alt=web

I was genuinely shocked by the price - makes no sense given the market but could be good for you

Adamirish

posted on 19/10/15 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoyM
Seen this? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131625574501&alt=web

I was genuinely shocked by the price - makes no sense given the market but could be good for you

Thanks for that, does give me hope of some sort! I had a rally engine builder tell me it was worth £2k+ but didn't really believe him to be honest, perhaps I'm wrong!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

RoyM

posted on 19/10/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
What I can't understand is that there was a newly built 1700 on for an absolute age - with bills etc - were asking £1350 and I don't think it ever went. I suppose it all depends on the right person (or preferably two) looking at the right time!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.