Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: written off my Xtreme this weekend
AlexXtreme

posted on 5/10/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
written off my Xtreme this weekend

Hi all,
My car was totalled this weekend by someone cutting across me at a junction.
The front of my xtreme is completely pushed in and the chassis is bent around 100mm to one side. Thankfully I am ok with only a minor hip pain however after spending around too much money and 6 months getting lots of areas "sorted" (eg new exhuast catalyst and referbed roof only this week) and it was my first proper drive this weekend with everything working. I am gutted to say the least. At least the other driver admitted full responsibility and I have a witness.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wD3v_LZSMY0QXn7-qgErEHdrPuIC7jaHgavRZ-VasiI?feat=directlink

Does anyone have any advice on getting the highest claim from the other parties insurance?
Thanks
Alex

PS and the good news is that I will need to replace it soon :-) so will be on the look out for an kitcar.

[Edited on 5/10/15 by AlexXtreme]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/10/15 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
What a pain in the bum!

If you have any doubts about your injuries, go see a doctor. They may well be trivial, but if they're not then visiting a doctor shortly after the accident will count in your favour when it comes to a claim. (Not talking about a dodgy accident claim like whiplash here - I mean a proper injury that affects your day-to-day life adversely).

I've developed a sixth sense over the years, starting way back when I used to ride motorbikes. These days I can approach a junction or roundabout and just *know* which pillock is about to pull out in front of me... it doesn't help that people just don't see sevens when coming up to a junction - they look, don't register that a 'normal car' is coming, and pull out.

Hope the claim goes smoothly for you.

[Edited on 5/10/15 by David Jenkins]

Adamirish

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you mate, though it can be replaced, you can't. Glad to hear you are mostly ok. Definitely go and see a doctor though about you pain as it will go a long way in any subsequent injury claim.

Onwards and upwards!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

snapper

posted on 5/10/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Invoices for all bits bought, proof of Quantum purchase price, plenty of receipts for stuff and time
The injury could pay a significant sum in s few years Perdue it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

AlexXtreme

posted on 5/10/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

thanks for the advice... have been to the docs and I have some pain although hopefully it will clear up by the end of the week.
If not will pursue it further - dont agree with making any claim for injury unless it is valid!

I brought the car for 7k ish however it has a number of issues which I have gradually ironed out over the last few years so I was wanting the same. a stainless steel chassis means there is no rust :-) and I did not do many miles

Alex

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 5/10/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oh bigger! Glad you are ok.

Evidence of the work you have done and photos of your nice shiny car at shows may help.

perksy

posted on 5/10/15 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you but the most important thing is you are ok

Plenty of invoices and photographs will help and be ready to turn down their first offer...

SteveWalker

posted on 5/10/15 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
dont agree with making any claim for injury unless it is valid!

I quite agree, but don't reject it out-of-hand up-front.

I have been hit twice, both from behind. The first time, I was 21 and was hit while looking straight ahead (stationary at a zebra crossing). I suffered neck pain for 3 or four days and that was it.

The second time, I was 45, was stationary at a roundabout and, due to the angle of the approach road, had my head turned as far to the right as it goes. I had physio and then a second course of it, I couldn't sleep with the discomfort and that affected my work, reducing my hours (and pay) significantly. It took three months to seem okay, but then I did a bit of physical work to fix a leaking sewer pipe and kicked it off again (couldn't even drive or work for 3 days). It was six months before it was fully back to normal and proof against re-triggering it.

HowardB

posted on 6/10/15 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
it is worth collect ads for "similar cars" showing similar specification, and also get an independent value assessor, I had a chap from a company called Barwells, he took great interest in all the aspects of the car and applied an appropriate value to the somewhat sad looking car.

I can pass you on some contact details if you wish

all the best with the recovery, it's amazing how strong these cars are-

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

joneh

posted on 6/10/15 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for ads of similar vehicles. That's what I had to do when a taxi totalled one of my cars.

Invoices may help, although fixes and repairs wouldn't probably technically add value. Have you been inconvenienced by the accident? I was awarded £500 for catching the bus for a week too! I mentioned on the phone that I had receipts for taxis and buses and he said shall we just call it £500?

AlexXtreme

posted on 6/10/15 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions... I have registered with the accident and emergency that I was injured and will follow it up with the insurance company. The problem is that I am going on holiday at the end of the week so I don't have much time to do much!

I have some receipts however looking at them they do not add up to too much (it is amazing how little these cars cost to keep going!). The hours that I put into the work I won't get back including fitting a complete new fuel system with swirl pot etc. with very little room available.

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 6/10/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
great shame, but hope you are mended soon.. I've had proper whiplash - took 4yrs to clear up and complete the claim, not nice for anyone.

Receipts, even those the builder had count, and for what you have done. Time doesn't count What they are going for presently and how good yours was in comparison.

I so nearly lost mine in the same way Sat pm. I was coming up to a junction on a dual cw and the car to the right of me just swerved left, I just got the brakes on and luckily no one behind.

all the best, Chris

AlexXtreme

posted on 26/10/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
replaced my car with a Ginetta G27

Hi All,
Not one to let grass grow under my feet, the quantum has been replaced by something a bit different a Ginetta G27!
A much more relaxed drive with great suspension / handling.
I would be interested to know if there are any other owners out on the forum.

Cheers
Alex
PS Still waiting for a valuation on the car.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 26/10/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you are back and rolling again!
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 27/10/15 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
surely didn't happen without a pic

hope you enjoy the new car.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 27/10/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
surely didn't happen without a pic

hope you enjoy the new car.

What he said!

beaver34

posted on 28/10/15 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
Hi All,
Not one to let grass grow under my feet, the quantum has been replaced by something a bit different a Ginetta G27!
A much more relaxed drive with great suspension / handling.
I would be interested to know if there are any other owners out on the forum.

Cheers
Alex
PS Still waiting for a valuation on the car.

id rather have a s1 elise around same kind of money but a far better package IMO

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/10/15 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
when my JBA Falcon was written of I was offered a stupidly low amount that would not even get me another one so I went through the classifieds selected the best examples with the highest prices and sent them back to the insurance company saying that was what they are worth and I want an amount so I replace my car. That worked very well and I got a huge increase and more than enough to buy a nice one.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AlexXtreme

posted on 28/10/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Whippy, thanks for the suggestions... unfortunately there minimal cars around of the same make.. being an all stainless steel chassis meant it would not corrode.
Also my car was factor built in 2000 and then re-built in 2008 with brand new engine/ management system / etc etc so not standard at all.
So far I am waiting to see what they come up with and in the mean time getting the ammo ready!
Cheers
Alex

AlexXtreme

posted on 3/11/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Guys..... great news on the insurance of my old xtreme. The investigator rang me up as he could not find another car as a ref to base the right-off valuation... I gave him the back ground to the car plus that I have spent over £1k plus labour on it in the past couple of years. ( was well primed after the advice from this forum).
He then asked me what I would accept :-). He came back a couple hour later offering almost what I wanted which was £1.5k over what it cost me 4 years ago!
Well chuffed
Alex
PS the car will come for sale on http://www.copart.co.uk/UK/Auctions/Upcoming
Never seen this site before and you need to be a member (£50) before you can bid.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/11/15 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
that is good news !
AlexXtreme

posted on 10/11/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
my old car is now for sale...
http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/34175105 ... =795593860
any questions about the car please ask..
Engine, Jenvy's Omex management was new in 2007/2008 crated Ford Zetec
2 rear protech shock and springs 2 months ago :-(
Cheers
Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.