Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken fuel pump diagnosis
JoelP

posted on 10/10/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Broken fuel pump diagnosis

Trying to get my car running after a year parked up. Pinto on carbs. The fuel pump makes the normal loud clatter but no fuel appears at the filter by the engine and no pressure on the gauge. Is it likely a blocked pipe, or knackered pump? It doesn't sound quite right and sometimes stops clattering. Just don't want to change it and then findits something else! Is there an easy way to test for blocked pipes?

Ta.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 10/10/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know it is obvious MT tank ? if not disconnect the pump inlet and if no fuel comes out blow it back to tank using foot pump orother low pressure air.
If that dosen't disconect pump outlet and carb inlet and blow back from carb end.

[Edited on 10/10/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 10/10/15 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Air bubbles? Try siphoning some fuel through it...
SteveWalker

posted on 10/10/15 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Modern fuels are not stable. After a year parked up you may have corrosion of the pick-up pipe and gunk at the bottom of the tank. My tank (admittedly after standing somewhat longer) had heavy corrosion of the pick-up pipe and sender unit and the bottom of the tank was covered in some sort of filter-blocking muck.
Tatey

posted on 11/10/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Joel if it is a fuel pump from a bike then these are self regulating and will stop pumping fuel when the pressure is reached (around 5psi).

Is it possible to take the fuel pump off and run it on a bench with a couple of jars to see if it is the pump or the fuel system?

JoelP

posted on 11/10/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
All good ideas thanks, I'll give it a go. Doesnt help that the car doesn't live at my house!

JoelP

posted on 16/10/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Well, in the interests of keeping the thread up to date, I shall confess. It's never been a good stater. I blamed the smoking engine earth, so changed all the big leads. Turned over better but that left us where the thread started, with no joy. Having seen a veritable fountain of fuel under the bonnet, fueling errors were soon discounted. Then I noticed 2 levers on the carbs, not connected to anything... That would be the choke, then. Fired up immediately.

Road trip is looking quite possible now! Off to Islay again next month.

Paul Turner

posted on 19/10/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Had twin 40's 45's for the best part of 20 years and never connected the choke levers. The cars started fine with 3 or 4 pumps of the throttle but they definitely started better when fitted with an electric pump instead if the standard Ford mechanical one.

Also had several Fords fitted with the progressive twin choke 32/36 type carb and after months of poor starting on one I disconnected the auto choke and took to pressing the throttle a few times before touching the key, perfect after that.

If set up correctly the chokes are not needed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.