Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Willwood hand brake calipers
John G

posted on 13/10/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Willwood hand brake calipers

I purchased an Aeon gt3 that has some Willwood mechanical callipers fitted for the Iva /mot. The owner then changed the hubs to alloy billets removing the handbrake callipers leaving the cables tied up as the car was to be used for the track. I intend to put the car on the road so need to mount the callipers. I have designed a mounting plate for the Willwoods , but have the following thoughts; Are these callipers up to the job for the mot? Does anyone have any photos of them being mounted on a car? Would a simple hydraulic system work using a handbrake mounted to a master cylinder then to my existing callipers or to a pair of bike callipers?
Any recommendations?
Regards, John

Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/10/15 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seem to remember wilwood handbrake calipers not being very good.

You can't have hydraulic handbrake on iva/mot I think as it needs to be fail safe.

The calipers themselves are very good tho

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

adithorp

posted on 13/10/15 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hydralic handbrake isn't permitted for either IVA or MOT.

The Wilwood caliper doesn't have a lot of leverage; Add the modded Fury lever that has less leverage than standard and it wasn't much use. I overcame this by putting a secondary lever in the tunnel between the single cable from the handle and the twin cables to the calipers, that multiplies the leverage. Result is a strong handbrake with good feel. I'll add photos later but you should find then in previous threads if you search "wilwood handbrake"

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

peter030371

posted on 13/10/15 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I am mid-way through fitting the hi-spec Ultralite SVA calipers. The handbrake seems to work better on my Striker handbrake lever than the sierra calipers I took off but I am still 12 months away from an MOT so no idea if its good enough! I do need to sort out the return spring but other than that I can lock the back wheels up very easily with the car in the air which I couldn’t do before.

Certainly the idea of the Hi-spec handbrake lever mechanism is sound so it should work but only time will tell From what I have seen of the Willwood calipers that include the handbrake part they have little leverage on them but I know some have got them to work OK.

John G

posted on 14/10/15 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add that my willwood handbrake callipers are the single mechanical ones. I have a separate calliper for normal braking.
It should be ok with some setting up, I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of their set up.
Regards, John.

Fant

posted on 14/10/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had the wilwood handbrake calipers on my car. After lubricating and adjusting all moving parts it worked ok - for about 2 weeks. Finally I got rid of them and designed my own handbrake which is a band brake acting directly onto the diff input.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.