Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Steering Wheel (not the usual request)
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
IVA Steering Wheel (not the usual request)

Not totally 'locost' but I'm sure somebody here will know.

I'm working with a company that are putting a vehicle through IVA, it currently uses a brand new Ford Ranger (pickup) steering wheel, despiute it being a 'pukka' Ford wheel that hasnt been modified the IVA tester is refusing to pass it off (flip knows why as we have all the documentation) so we need an alternative for a retest.

Here's where the locostbuilders bit comes in, the Ranger wheel appears to have the same Hex fitting as the venerable Sierra wheel, before we go and fit the manky Sierra old Sierra steering wheel from my garage does anyone have any recomendations for where we can get a new full size IVA compliant wheel with the same fitting?

Cheers

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 22/10/15 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but does the rejected wheel have an airbag on it ?

I believe most fords use the same hex style of fitting (at least the ones I've seen, focus, fiesta etc...)
Don't know if there are any variations in the size of the hex though.....

[Edited on 22/10/2015 by mcerd1]

-

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Just a thought, but does the rejected wheel have an airbag on it ?

No, it is a proper non-airbag wheel by design, I wouldnt get involved in the argument, its still ongoing and may go to appeal.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
What is the reason for failing it?

[Edited on 22/10/15 by theduck]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not entirely sure, I'm not doing the IVA stuff myself, have just been asked to help because of knowing about kit cars. But we are adamament that it should pass and it meets all of the requirements.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Staple balls

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Any photos about that you can share? might make it easier than guessing.
theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Without knowing why it failed it is hard to help. I am guessing that it is a wheel/column combination that has failed due to a lack of collapseable section, which would probably be more easily resolved with a collapsable boss and aftermarket wheel.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not asking everyone to work out why it failed. I'm asking if anyone knows of a supplier of IVA compliant steering wheels that we could fit to get it to pass the retest rather than just fitting an old Sierra wheel.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Without knowing why the wheel failed it's impossible to make a sound recommendation.
Staple balls

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
But if we don't know why it failed, we can't tell you what will pass.
r1_pete

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
This is not meant to sound flippant or conciliatory but, why not just fit an old Sierra wheel for the IVA??
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well thats half of our problem, it shouldn't have failed! We know its fully legal, its has failed because the tester wont believe that its a Ford supplied Type approved steering wheel despite us having all of the documentation to prove it is.

So what we need is a different steering wheel, which we can just fit on that we know he cant argue with. Last resort is the Sierra wheel that I have in my garage (they probably see these on 90% of kits) but a scabby 30 year old steering wheel isn't really a professional looking solution so I'm looking for something that we can buy new.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
This is not meant to sound flippant or conciliatory but, why not just fit an old Sierra wheel for the IVA??

This is what I actually said (as I already have one) and is the last resort but we are looking for something a bit more new and profesional looking first.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to sound exasperated but its because there is no technical reason why it has failed which is pretty exasperating for everyone here.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

theprisioner

posted on 22/10/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
The Westfield steering wheel is IVA compliant?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Slimy38

posted on 22/10/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

This is what I actually said (as I already have one) and is the last resort but we are looking for something a bit more new and profesional looking first.

I realise this may be the last thing you want to hear, but isn't there a danger that the tester will also consider a Sierra wheel to also be a failure? If he's being stubborn about a new wheel (which would have had to go through type approval), then an old wheel created before IVA even existed is probably no guarantee of a pass.

I was going to suggest a wheel from kitpartsdirect or similar, but I've just done a quick check and can't see any that are advertised as IVA friendly. It was only a quick check though.

theduck

posted on 22/10/15 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely a scenario where need to find out what the tester wants to see. Although I havent passed IVA yet as I am in the process of finishing off the bits it failed on first time, my wheel did pass, and it was a momo style aftermarket one with a collapsible boss, yet plenty of people have failed with similar wheels for various reasons.
steve m

posted on 22/10/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea on the IVA etc process as I was pre all of it,

when the vehicle is taken back for a retest is the same tester that will do it?

can you take the vehicle to another test station for a retest on the parts it failed on, ie swop the wheel with the sierra one?

It does sound a very frustrating scenario dealing with a jobs worth, who seems to not want to pass the vehicle for some reason

steve

[Edited on 22/10/15 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 22/10/15 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would talk to VOSA, the tester needs putting straight or he'll just keep on failing stuff that should pass.b If it is a type approved wheel without an airbag by design then I can think of no reason for the wheel to fail

Mark Vickers 01792454256. Steve Jones 01792 454351 I've always found them most helpful

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

ettore bugatti

posted on 22/10/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be possible to buy a brand new Sierra steering wheel from the Ford dealer?

Or a Nardi Gara with suitable boss:
http://www.driftworks.com/nardi-gara-steering-wheel-leather-with-black-stitching-365mm.html

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 23/10/15 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Seems that the original wheel is now acceptable and some sense has been seen. What a massive ball-ache

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.