Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another 'what car to get' thread
Slimy38

posted on 24/10/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Another 'what car to get' thread

I have a new job at the end of next month, so it's time to get rid of the company car. I'd appreciate any replacement recommendations with the following conditions;

up to 3k max.
Age and mileage not an issue.
>150bhp from a petrol engine (mileage will be too low to do a diesel).
Manual gearbox.
Cavernous boot and four doors/seats, either saloon or hatchback.

Front runner is an Octavia VRS, although if anyone has any thoughts on the 2.5 Mondeo's I'd appreciate their view.

Thanks all.

[Edited on 24/10/15 by Slimy38]

craig5

posted on 24/10/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
id get an impreza and id go for a classic turbo and u will not lose a penny on it in fact in time if you get a nice 1 it will increase in value
twybrow

posted on 24/10/15 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Honda Accord with the 2.2 vtec lump - cracking cars. Or Audi A4 or Passat if you like German barges. VRs is a good call....
Slimy38

posted on 24/10/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Honda Accord with the 2.2 vtec lump - cracking cars. Or Audi A4 or Passat if you like German barges. VRs is a good call....

Hmmm, an Accord seems like a good plan. I did say no auto, but this one seems like a good car;

2002 HONDA ACCORD TYPE-V AUTO GREEN/ LEATHER/ BOSE SYSTEM/ FSH/ MOT

Do Honda make decent auto boxes?

Passat's are on the shopping list, I wouldn't mind a Bora V5 either.

Hodor

posted on 24/10/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same criteria a couple years ago, I bought a saab 93 Aero 2L petrol, manual. Love it and still do. Comfy as hell and can pick its skirt up go when required. Being 12 years old it's required the odd bit of maintenance like window winder mechanisms replaced, a door lock, ignition manual, but nothing a nights googleing and a £50 ebay purchase can't rectify.

I've just sold the wife's 10yr old octavia vrs and I'm glad to be shot of it. Big boot. But not much else going for it. Doesn't handle nicely. Just bought a 6yr old A3 to replace it with and it feels 10x better. We bought the skoda when it was 3yrs old and it never felt that well sorted.

twybrow

posted on 24/10/15 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would be looking for the newer model 2004 onwards).../ e.g. http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=262109191564&category=18206&pm=1&ds=0&t=1445699762349
britishtrident

posted on 24/10/15 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
That money will find a nice Toyota Avenis for that money just check the oil change history and listen for piston slap.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

AntonUK

posted on 24/10/15 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
When we had a similar situation a few years ago we ended up with a nice saab 9-5 with lots of toys. we got 3 years use with little servicing and only ever had the map sensor go pop. It was a brilliant car until the missus drove it into the back of someone.

Build Photos Here

Slimy38

posted on 24/10/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Saab's are also on the list, probably the 9-3 rather than the 9-5 but it did occur to me that I've never seen one up close, let alone been in one! I'll have to go take a look at some.

BT, I had seen the Avensis, but there are some horrible stories about the engine. I think for my budget it's going to be short some service history, and that can't be good.

ettore bugatti

posted on 24/10/15 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru Legacy Spec B have depreciated nicely.

Or a Volvo S60/ V70 T5 does qualify as well.

At least they are above 150hp...

morcus

posted on 25/10/15 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Vectra C 2.2, 3K should get you a nice one or get a cheap one and put the budget into fixing the niggles. When the bits do break they're cheap to fix. If you can afford the tax the v6 versions of that model had seemed pretty impressive on paper with about 250 hp and a decent sized boot.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Slimy38

posted on 25/10/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Vectra C 2.2, 3K should get you a nice one or get a cheap one and put the budget into fixing the niggles. When the bits do break they're cheap to fix. If you can afford the tax the v6 versions of that model had seemed pretty impressive on paper with about 250 hp and a decent sized boot.

I used to own one of the old Vectra V6's, it was actually the slowest 200bhp I've ever had!! They are impressive on paper, but they seemed to have sacrificed all driveability for that headline figure. Nice sound though.

My mum's boyfriend also had one of the 2.2 Vectra's, again very slow for a claimed 150bhp. And 'niggles' doesn't even come close to the trouble he had.

jossey

posted on 25/10/15 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Mondeo focus or astra

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.