Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New boiler, which company?
coozer

posted on 28/11/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
New boiler, which company?

I'm finally going towards a new boiler... Getting sick of fixing our good old Vokera. I am going to give it one more chance to see if we can get the winter out of it. I've hung on and hung on as the house is for sale but without a sale in sight I may have to take the plunge.

So, Q? Where from?

Local installer?
Gas board? Current system was installed by the gas board in 2000.
Help-link?

We are not entitled to any grants or help with the cost, just low paid part time workers....

Am I right in thinking it will be around £2k for a new install on the current pipework?

What have you done??

Ta,
Steve xx

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Wadders

posted on 28/11/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Try to find a local installer that comes by recommendation.

BG are a rip off and use local subbys anyway.

If it's a combi, go with the longest warranty, 10 years is not uncommon now.

Make sure they fit a magnetic filter.

£2k max is a reasonable expectation for a decent long warranty combi swap. Price will vary depending on location etc.

Sorry, just re read your post and saw the House for sale bit. I would get something like an Ideal I-mini fitted. Only 2 year warranty but same inside as it's 7 year warranty brother. You should get one in for £1200 or so.

[Edited on 28/11/15 by Wadders]

mark chandler

posted on 28/11/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Phone around and find someone who will fit and sign off for you for £200, then supply the boiler from here

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/?gclid=CP2f4P31s8kCFWT3wgodazcK7w

I have fitted my whole system a couple of times now, you have to get a corgi man to connect and commission these days as it gets registered. You will need to hit the phone hard as most want to charge you retail for the boiler when all you want is 1/2 days labour.

Regards Mark

Wadders

posted on 28/11/15 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Phone around and find someone who will fit and sign off for you for £200, then supply the boiler from here

Hope the OP's got a thick skin........maybe start with plumbers listed in the Bradford phone book :-)

hizzi

posted on 28/11/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
i take it the vokera you have will be a combi, if so you may get a pleasant surprise at britsh gas price, combi to combi swaps are very well priced and if you have maintenace theres a further £400 off plus other bits. if you are changing boiler type then different story and a lot depends on electrics condensate drains flue route etc.
i work in tech support for bg , personally i prefer worcester bosch but the current most reliable combi on the market is ideal logic combi that comes with seven year warranty if serviced yearly

coozer

posted on 28/11/15 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/?gclid=CP2f4P31s8kCFWT3wgodazcK7w

I have fitted my whole system a couple of times now, you have to get a corgi man to connect and commission these days as it gets registered. You will need to hit the phone hard as most want to charge you retail for the boiler when all you want is 1/2 days labour.

Regards Mark

Yes, I've done that in the past. When I bought my first house in the 80s I installed all the pipe works, radiates and boiler. Got my mate, a corgi to install the gas pipe.

Is it the same now?? If I can get it working till the summer I might just do that again..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

adam1985

posted on 28/11/15 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would steer clear of the big companies if you can, best thing would be a recommendation of a local installer and have a chat with him.
Most installers have a prefered boiler what they normally fit and are familiar with the installation and maintenance of these boilers.
Personally i would go with either a vaillant or worcester ive never been a fan of ideal or anything from the baxi group, I would get a magnetic filter fitted too and make sure the benchmark is completed otherwise the warrenty could be voided.

mark chandler

posted on 28/11/15 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
The change now is the corgi man registers the new boiler on a database, this means they warranty the work hence they may want to hang it on the wall. In both cases they were happy for me to hang and run the pipe work as they are not signing off the wet side.

I phoned maybe 3 or 4 plumbers before I got one who was happy to validate and sign off, they did a gas drop test, checked the earths etc so a few hundred for 1/2 hours work.

in both cases they popped around and told me what they needed to see/work on before commissioning the boiler a couple of days later, it's like dealing with a Masonic lodge! some just say not interested unless they supply then hang up so arrange it first if going this route.

Cheers Mark

[Edited on 29/11/15 by mark chandler]

samjc

posted on 29/11/15 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
If you supply a boiler £500 for half decent 3year warrenty job (mine was £800 with 7 years warrenty) and get a local registerd and well reviewed installer to fit it and sign it off. Should pay more than £400 as mine was done as a favour but he said hed usualy charge £300 or less depending how buisy he is.
smart51

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
we had ours done by a friend of a friend who was going back to fitting boilers after a spell of working for a big firm. He charged us £850 for the boiler and £850 to fit it. BG wanted about £3000 IIRC. He did it by himself and it took less than two whole days, so it wasn't a mates rates job yest was nearly half the price of BG.
neilp1

posted on 29/11/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a baxi but had loads of problems with it. I had a Worcester Bosch fitted last year with 10 year warranty. Enviro heat fitted it based in Gateshead I think
cliftyhanger

posted on 29/11/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
The issue with the worcester greenstars is the position of the PRV.

On any combi if the PRV lets go because it over pressures there is a fair chance it won't seal again and leak, losing pressure etc.

On most boilers it is a quick fix, 15 mins it took me to do one on an old worcester. However on teh greenstars it is right at the back of teh boiler, meaning a partial boiler strip to access it. That cost me over £200.

And that wont be covered by any warranty either.

On that note I gave up on the warranty on our vaillant. In 24 years our 3 home boilers (all fitted by me, well, an engineer did final bits) none have ever gone wrong. And none have been serviced. At £70 a pop I have saved plenty of money, and if I do get a probelm most are sub £100 to fix, worts case is a few hundred. That really sums up the ideal boiler offer, same boiler 2 prices, you are paying for a warranty.

I would fit a vaillant every time.

BenB

posted on 29/11/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I also did the DIY route. Paid Mr Gas Safe to do the final connection, register it etc but the hanging, wiring etc I did myself. The gas pipes I cut and fluxed and left them slightly separated so he could inspect, slot together and solder. His soldering skills were okay- though I personally think mine look better!! Still saved a packet. In London you think you'ld have loads of heating engineers, lots of competition and therefore a cheap price. Not so!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.