Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.9 diesel engine
PaulBuz

posted on 13/12/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
1.9 diesel engine

Helllp!!!
Ok its not for my locost but it is for my vw caddy van.
I THINK it may have skipped a tooth on the cambelt when i started it with EZ start this morning.
It is now very 'clattery' & power is well down.
Question is I can't see any timing marks on the cam pulley & I don't have a manual.
Can anyone help please!

ATB
Paul

ned

posted on 13/12/04 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
buy a manual or take it to a garage? do you have a timing light or any other timing equipment?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 13/12/04 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned
As far as I can tell they don't make a manual.
But I'm pretty sure that its the same 1.9 non turbo diesel engine as fitted to a few other cars in the vw range.(Golf? etc.)
Yes i have got a timing light but unfortunatly someone seems to have nicked the plugs & leads from my DIESEL engine
ATB Paul

[Edited on 13/12/04 by PaulBuz]

ATB
Paul

splitrivet

posted on 13/12/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you had to start it with EZ start this morning Paul and you wouldnt normally have had to, sounds more like a duff injector.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

PaulBuz

posted on 13/12/04 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi splitrivet
the only reason I had to start it with EZ start was because its been standing for a while.
when it fired although it did'nt want to rev ,it ticks over fine.My main concern is a metallic ticking noise.At first i thought it was just the tappets filling with oil, because thats the exact same noise as this.But it didnt go away.
When i tried to drive it there is no power there

[Edited on 13/12/04 by PaulBuz]

ATB
Paul

Spriggsy

posted on 13/12/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,
as far as i can see in the cam belt timing book, VW 1.9d doesn't have any cam pulley marks. the cam is timed using a locking plate(vw special tool) which is lined up with the camshaft once you have removed the cam cover.

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's a mark on the flywheel for TDC on some VW diesel engines, you look through a plugged hole in the top of the bellhousing, but as Sprigsy says, you use a VW tool (No2056A) to line up the cam and another VW tool (No2064) to lock the pump. No2064 is just a threaded dowl and can be improvised but the cam tool is another matter.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 13/12/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
it sounds like an injector problem to me if it ticks over OK.

How long has it been stood for?
Could it be air and/or moisture in the fuel system?

Nick

Rob Lane

posted on 13/12/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Metallic ticking noise, down on power, suspected cam belt slip.

Could have bent a valve or two

Diesels usually have very tight clearances because they run at high compression.

PaulBuz

posted on 13/12/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all for the replies .I've managed to download a small section of a manual.
Will try again in the morning.I plan to fabricate some sort of tool to lock the inj. pump( I have a lathe) & according to the instruction I have the camshaft can be lock with a piece of steel plate.
I am hoping the when i lock these 2 things in position & look through the hole in the bellhousing i will see that the TDC mark is out.
IF all that is ok.........??????
Thanks again for the promp replies

ATB
Paul

jollygreengiant

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Never use EZ start on modern deisels. Once they get a sniff of it the need it more and more. The likely hood is that you might have knocked out a precombustion/injection chamber.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Spriggsy

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
totally agree! EZstart is like an engine drug! leave it to the dumper trucks,tractors and cement mixers
gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm addicted too, what a smell!
rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Think you will find that replacement of timing belt tensioner is recommended when timing belts are changed, it's possible that tensioner has failed allowing belt to jump, If that is the case do not reuse the old belt or tensioner . Best of luck. Rusty
splitrivet

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that if it ran OK before you parked it that why should the timing belt jumped a tooth over night sitting on its jack.

Diesels do make odd noises if they arent sucking the right fuel ratio,could be moisture in the fuel line or injector or pump.

Best of luck anyroad,let us know how you get on.It might help someone else out.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

fatfranky

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Paul

I've owned several VW Diesels over the years, basically to check the timing, remove the cam cover and belt cover, turn the engine to TDC on No1 (Both cam lobes pointing upwards, and ensure that O is aligning with pointer in bellhousing hole.

The slot in the back of the camshaft should be alligned with the top surface of cylinder head (IIRC a 6MM bar is a suitable tool) also check that the locking pin on the injector pump aligns (it was a 16 MM bolt on older engines but I'm certain that newer ones had a slot that aligned with a 6MM pin)

If any are misaligned I would replace belt and tensioner.

As for a workshop manual, go to your local library and get the Haynes manual for either MK1 or MK2 golf Diesels whilst a lot has changed on these engines the basic proceedure is the same.

All of the above assumes that it's not a TDI or SDI in which case get the manual for a MK3, which has a section on the TDI engine

Hope this helps

gazza285

posted on 13/12/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could always do what I'm doing with my Transporter van. VW engine out, Peugeot engine in.
PaulBuz

posted on 15/12/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
SORTED!!

the cam belt had skipped a tooth.
Managed to time the cam in relation to the crank, the inj. pump on my van is like nothing i saw in any of the manuals i looked at .
There are NO timing marks at all on it.
It is just a thinly spoked wheel with nowhere to insert a dowel or location pin etc.
in the end i kept it where it was & kept moving it in relation to the other 2 untill the engine ran smoothly.
If anyone knows how to set up a pump properly, i would love to know, if only for future referance!

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.