Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw x3 vibration
bug1

posted on 18/12/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
bmw x3 vibration

I have a puzzling problem I have a vibration through the steering wheel on light pressure on the brake pedal and I can't find the problem. Before the obvious is stated warped discs yes I would say the same but what would cause this I have changed the discs 3 times as they keep warping. I have changed the calipers and the hoses also been right through the suspension new shocks arms and ball joints just incase something else was worn causing the vibration can't find anything. So my question is why do they keep warping under normal braking I would like to sort it as I like the car. Anything more than light pressure all steering wheel vibration disappears.
gregs

posted on 18/12/15 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bug1
I have a puzzling problem I have a vibration through the steering wheel on light pressure on the brake pedal and I can't find the problem. Before the obvious is stated warped discs yes I would say the same but what would cause this I have changed the discs 3 times as they keep warping. I have changed the calipers and the hoses also been right through the suspension new shocks arms and ball joints just incase something else was worn causing the vibration can't find anything. So my question is why do they keep warping under normal braking I would like to sort it as I like the car. Anything more than light pressure all steering wheel vibration disappears.

Clean and lube the slide pins??

Could also be friction material deposited on the disc - Brake hard and steady from 70mph a couple of times to clean them up.

[Edited on 18/12/15 by gregs]

adithorp

posted on 18/12/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Did you clean all trace of rust/dirt of the hub flanges before fitting the discs? It's the most common cause of brake vibration and often diagnosed as "warped discs"

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bug1

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes all slide pins cleaned and lubricated and hub faces cleaned when discs first changed brakes are perfect on each set of discs it's only after a couple of hundred of miles it comes back hence I am now lost.
theconrodkid

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
you said you changed the discs 3 times as they kept warping,what brand are they ?some of the cheap ones made in India a rubbish,have you tried Eurocarparts,they sell OE ones for small money.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bug1

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
The disc brands are mintex national from motor parts direct and Bendix who are by Honeywell and the do aircraft brakes.
mark chandler

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Warped disc are often mistaken for buildup on the discs caused by lots of gentle braking with today's pads, you need to aggressively brake occasionally to keep things clean or try more aggressive pads.
bug1

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
discs have done less than a thousand miles.
britishtrident

posted on 18/12/15 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Different pads are the solution more abrasive pads are required to keep the discs free from deposits.
I know rear pads with an abrasive break in layer are made forsome BMW.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

perksy

posted on 18/12/15 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Did you check the discs with a DTI when they'd been fitted ?

Worth borrowing one to check, at least then you can cross this one of the list of possible causes

bug1

posted on 18/12/15 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
yes all checked
NigeEss

posted on 19/12/15 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
What tyres are fitted ? X3's are uber sensitive to tyres, I've experienced weird clunks, bangs and shudders due to them.
I had one in with a vibration at 30mph, brand new budget tyres were the problem. Fitted Dunlops as pr BMW spec and
it drove faultlessly.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

gregs

posted on 19/12/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bug1
discs have done less than a thousand miles.

Several people have suggested build up of friction material and I'm not sure you've ruled this out?

Greg

mark chandler

posted on 19/12/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
They need bedding in from day 1, if you look at the disc does it look like the pad has been biting into it?

Either way bomb down the road and some hard applications from speed to get some heat into things as described further above

gregs

posted on 19/12/15 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
They need bedding in from day 1, if you look at the disc does it look like the pad has been biting into it?

Either way bomb down the road and some hard applications from speed to get some heat into things as described further above

+1

gregs

posted on 19/12/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Also - is it an auto?
sickbag

posted on 19/12/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregs
Also - is it an auto?

I second this one - lost count of the number of cars I've seen driving with the brake lights on.

Finally back on the job!

bug1

posted on 19/12/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly the tyres are bmw spec and all the same tread depth approx 7mm it's not an auto and have given the brakes a good pasting today. They look like they have bedded in but after they were treated like has been suggested and they just appear to be no better.
gregs

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Re-check wheel balance ? - even swap front to back to look for a difference?
rf900rush

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Saw a Disc warped myth mentioned in a previous post http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199787

Worth a read.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 19/12/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar issues with my Volvo. It had several front discs and sets of pads. Eventually I fitted genuine Volvo pads and it fixed it.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bug1

posted on 19/12/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
The hub where cleaned properly and I have changed at least fifty sets of dics and never had a problem before what I find odd is when first changed brakes were perfect I am not a hard on the brakes but in the same breath I am not light on the pedal all the main suspension components have been changed and ball joints and anti roll bar bushes and link rods so this is why I am lost.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.