Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-registering a SVA / IVA car in UK?
Alez

posted on 7/1/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Re-registering a SVA / IVA car in UK?

Hi All,

I few years ago I bought a road legal Ultima in the UK. I then registered it in Spain, declaring it permanently exported at the DVLA. Now I'd like to sell the car, and ideally I'd like to do that in the UK because there's much more of a market there and also because the car is RHD. Obviously, UK reg. would be desirable for that. I guess the term "permanently exported" says it all, but I would like to know whether I can put back the UK plates on it purely through DVLA paperwork (implying that the original SVA or IVA is still valid) or I will need to take the car through IVA or some other inspection / approval process.

Any thoughts or advice?

(PD: registration in Spain didn't require an inspection / approval process because I claimed relocation from UK to Spain. I can't use the same method to get UK approval because I'm not relocating to UK.)

Alez

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have just filled in this form to find out:
"Importing a vehicle previously registered in GB".
https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/vehicle_3_31.html

gremlin1234

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
how old is the car, if its over 10 years then won't require iva on import anyway.

but interested to see dvla's answer.

Alez

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
how old is the car, if its over 10 years then won't require iva on import anyway.

That's interesting! The date of first registration is 1995 if I remember correctly

This seems relevant:
quote:
Importing a vehicle over 10 years old

Contact DVLA if you’re importing a vehicle into Great Britain that’s over 10 years old.

The 10 year date is based on the date of manufacture or first registration.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

[Edited on 7/1/16 by Alez]

Bluemoon

posted on 7/1/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
You may find the market is better in Spain than you think, Ulitma is a difficult car to get hold of there, it's possible you might get a better price?
luke2152

posted on 7/1/16 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Permanent export as far as the dvla is concerned only means for more than 12 months. Not necessarily permanent. My friend brought a track bike in Germany with no reg that had been previously UK registered and had no problems getting it back on the road in UK although it took quite a few months. I believe the NOVA form is the one you need to do through HMRC and then that goes to DVLA.
Alez

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
You may find the market is better in Spain than you think, Ulitma is a difficult car to get hold of there, it's possible you might get a better price?

It's been advertised for a while here in Spain, and by now I think I have an idea of what to expect from both markets. Very few people are familiar with kit cars or Ultimas here, most car people here don't know what they are looking at when they see it.

Alez

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Permanent export as far as the dvla is concerned only means for more than 12 months. Not necessarily permanent. My friend brought a track bike in Germany with no reg that had been previously UK registered and had no problems getting it back on the road in UK although it took quite a few months. I believe the NOVA form is the one you need to do through HMRC and then that goes to DVLA.

That's excellent news again. It looks like I may get my registration back or, failing that, approve the car without IVA since it's date of first registration is over 10 years ago. This is looking good

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.