Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wearing A Helmet In A Car With A Windscreen
lordbenny

posted on 17/1/16 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wearing A Helmet In A Car With A Windscreen

I've never done it although it has crossed my mind on cold days especially if some of the journey is on a motorway. The trouble is...I'm aware that people will think that I look like a complete c@&Łtard. Do any of you out there do it and just don't car what other road users think.
benchmark51

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets are worn on the track aren't they, nobody laughs. If you got no roof and it makes you more comfortable I can't see a problem there.
I often wear a flying jacket, leather flying helmet with goggles in my seven and I get people pointing, grinning and taking photos. Remember all other roadusers are numpties anyway! lol

ash_hammond

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
After nearly being hit hard by a flying 5mm steel washer, eye protect is a minimum... so now i just wear my helmet.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

loggyboy

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't expect to see it in a convertible... but kitcars always have a cool license so you could be wearing a pink helmet with a suspicious slit in the top and you still wouldn't look like a knob.

[Edited on 17-1-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'd probably consider something a little less draughty than a helmet, but open top cars almost warrant some sort of head gear. Even if it is the earlier mentioned goggles and leather hat!
lordbenny

posted on 17/1/16 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
The issue here was wearing one with a WINDSCREEN.
Slimy38

posted on 17/1/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordbenny
The issue here was wearing one with a WINDSCREEN.

In my mind, it doesn't matter whether it's a windscreen or flyscreen (or nothing). It only looks bad when you've got something above your head, not in front of it.

russbost

posted on 17/1/16 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
You're driving a 7 style car & you're worried about what people think about you wearing a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 17/1/16 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
More importantly would anyone actually give a poo what other people thought?
russbost

posted on 17/1/16 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
More importantly would anyone actually give a poo what other people thought?

My point entirely!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JacksAvon

posted on 17/1/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used to polish my helmet while driving in a 7................lots of people took photographs, pointed and grinned.

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

SJ

posted on 17/1/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
the plus side is that noboby knows who's driving so even if you do look liek a knob it doesn't matter.
se7ensport

posted on 17/1/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I often wear one on motorway journeys just to keep the monotonous noise from driving me insane.
BenB

posted on 17/1/16 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I often wear one on motorway journeys just to keep the monotonous noise from driving me insane.

So you're married then

Hodor

posted on 17/1/16 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I frequently wear my helmet and I have a windscreen. The windscreen offers little in screening out the wind and when I'm 'going for it' I feel I can concentrate a bit more without worrying about my bunnet blowing off. And chicks dig the whole mystery bit...

That said, the reason I have a windscreen is that I can choose not to wear my helmet and not worry so much about catching stones in my teeth.

minibull

posted on 18/1/16 at 02:17 AM Reply With Quote
I wear a flat cap driving the scimitar ss1 if I have the roof down in the winter. I really do look like a knob, but it's a preferable to my head going blue with the cold that hurts ! If I still had hair I might go bare headed but maybe it's because I did I no longer have hair .
nick205

posted on 18/1/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Personally in over 3k miles in my MK Indy with an aeroscreen I wore a full face helmet with the visor down. Several reasons, 1 it afforded some head protection from debris and 2 it was warmer than not.

Did I care what I looked like - not at all! I was focussed on being warm and protecting my face/eyes.

I say wear one and be damned with it, who cares what you look like, people will be more interested in the car than you in a helmet.

To add to that, I also carried a spare helmet for any passengers as head protection - people were that scared going in the Indy with me they never moaned about wearing a helmet

SCAR

posted on 18/1/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just wear a hat and you will have a warm head and the added bonus of being allowed to drive like a complete twat.
Any hat, doesn't matter what type although trilby types seem to be popular. No longer any need to indicate, drive at 28.7mph everywhere, use the extremities of your car as a distance sensor when parking. Park anywhere at bizarre angles, rev the nuts of the car when pulling away (slowly) accompanied by the smell of burning clutch. Yep definitely going ditch the Highway code and get me a hat.

nick205

posted on 18/1/16 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Hats catch the wind and blow off - helmets are strapped on and stay put. A helmet also has a visor which helps protect the face (eyes) from debris such as grit and bugs - bugs can blind you at speed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.