Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I need wipers?
Irony

posted on 1/2/16 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do I need wipers?

I am planning on fitting a windscreen to my Viento. I can't stand the wind in my face, its really annoying. I am planning a trip to GBS to get the frame and I'll get the glass cut etc. But do I need wipers? I am not that bothered about MOT because I can just take the screen off.
nick205

posted on 1/2/16 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the legal angle is, but if you have a screen and it rains you need wipers to see where you're going.

I'd suggest you need some form of air blowing on the inside as well to avoid the chance of steaming up.

monkeyarms

posted on 1/2/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wipers, washers and a demister(heater) are all "needed" for a windscreen.

Up to you if you fit them.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 1/2/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that you mean you will never get caught out in the rain and what will happen if you get pulled over.

technically I think an MOT is only valid at the moment the car is checked and at any point your car 'should' be able to pass an mot.

however, in reality who is going to stop you and surely you would just get ticked off if it was noticed.

saying all this, my 3 kits have had screens and wipers!

to block the wind wipping round you will also need side screens or decent um bits that stick out the side.(forget what they are called!)

I would say that if you do get caught out in the rain with no wipers you would have to stop, in mine, the rain also wips up and back in from the rear of the car and I find that I just have to put the hood on, other wise I can't see a thing, even if I am not really getting that wet.

the air flow round is just bonkers, i'd love to see a picture of it.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/2/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I had a full screen on my 1st car,it was like driving in a huricane,after that i just had small deflectors and that was a lot better.
wearing a helmet is another option

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/2/16 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know. Legally, a windscreen is different from a 'wind deflector' (the latter definitely does NOT has a wiper/washer requirement), so how big is your 'wind deflector'.....

From a different angle, to me, this is like putting a 'small' number plate on a motorcycle - it would just give a bored policeman something to get a box ticked on. I can just imagine an outstanding servant of our society taking great pleasure over your wiper-less windscreen. You'll probably be 'lit up', or have several fatal head shots, especially if you live in a terraced house.

If it was me - I'd go big 'deflector'.

gremlin1234

posted on 1/2/16 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
the iva manual defines of what is a windscreen, and hence requiring demister and wiper
section 32, particularly the annex to it.
quote:
Where the “horizontal plane” intersects Glazing at any point the Glazing is determined to be a windscreen. The vehicle will therefore be required to meet the standards of section 34 defrost/demist and section 35 wash/wipe

nick205

posted on 1/2/16 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
A helmet is another option that really helps. On my Indy I fitted a small wind deflector and wore a full face helmet - kept the noise and wind at bay for me.

Irony

posted on 1/2/16 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't actually been in a Viento with a windscreen so I don't know how good it'll be. Similar to other Sevens I would imagine. All I know is I don't particularly like wearing a helmet and the wind in my face above 60 is irritating as hell. It drowns out the sound of the V8.

The other day a wally brain in a M5 thought it would be fun to scream past me foot floored. He must have thought it cool to overtake a guy tootling along at 50 running a engine in. Anyway he clipped the side of the road and I was grit blasted in the face. I didn't need to use exfoliating soap that night.

What I really meant in the above topic is do people actually use their wipers in a seven? At the moment if it rains I stop anyway because the rain hurts my face. Is a windscreen on a seven likely to steam up?

loggyboy

posted on 1/2/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Technically - You would fall foul of construction and use which states:
34.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall, unless the driver can obtain an adequate view to the front of the vehicle without looking through the windscreen, be fitted with one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers capable of clearing the windscreen so that the driver has an adequate view of the road in front of both sides of the vehicle and to the front of the vehicle.
So unless you can see over the screen, it needs a wiper system.
However, coppers that know the law are rare. However its a fairly obvious thing to assume to be needed.

Mistral Motorsport

snapper

posted on 1/2/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a screen after SVA, got caught in the rain and it was much worse than just a helmet so fitted wipers
Later fitted side screens, what a difference to the driving experience

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 1/2/16 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Full face helmet with the visor down worked well for me, keeping grit and bugs out of my face and eyes.

BenB

posted on 1/2/16 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Driving in the rain without wipers (even with RainX or whatever that stuff is), is asking for trouble. As said you also need to address the rain going round the screen onto the back of the screen. I got caught in a downpour in my car and I literally couldn't see anything. It fogged up really nastily as well. In the end I had to peer over the top of the screen like a fricking meerkat without my glasses on (which just got rainy and misty). Even then.... Put it this way it transpires at some point the road I was on turned into a dual carriageway and I didn't realise for quite some time....

Eventually I found somewhere to pull over. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced!

So yes, you need wipers. And a demist- I'm still sorting that- the last drive I did in Autumn I had a terrible misting issue. Ended up using almost an entire screen wash bottle (which sits in the engine bay so is fairly toasty) just to heat the screen to drive off the mist- worked well

JoelP

posted on 1/2/16 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I got caught in the rain on a long drive last year. 300 miles with no wipers. I had to peer around the screen, which obviously wasn't safe. At some point, you will end up in the same situation.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 1/2/16 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
My son and I got caught in the rain in my Indy, we got home OK, but were soaked to the skin and rather fed up!

A screen without wipers would have been harder work.

HowardB

posted on 1/2/16 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would say yes, both from a requirement and from a practical perspective.
As noted if you have a screen then demist is a good plan too, also from experience a screen is just another place to get wet on the inside if there are no side screens / door tops

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/16 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've been in several Viento's , one with a screen but no wipers ( unless you call a fish tank cleaner a wiper that flies off at speed , you know who I'm talking about Clive) , one with nothing and another that had a small deflector on top of the scuttle which seemed to suffer less from buffeting. My car has a full screen with wipers and demisters but other no roof in heavy rain it was downright dangerous , fitting side deflectors helped as did a proper roof with side screens.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
The guy that brought JollyGreenGiants car is going to fit a full width deflector , might be worth having a word with him.
WallerZero

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I had a windscreen on my Zero with wipers that didn't work nor demisters. During the colder weather it was bloody dangerous as I couldn't see as both sides fogged up. In rain I found a sh*t load of rainex and 40mph kept a clear windscreen but in reality you will need at least wipers to be safe. I'm rebuilding and considering a heated windscreen to solve the fogging issue and also getting my windscreen wipers working properly. Would not plan to drive it until the windscreen wipers are sorted.

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

mcerd1

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I would say yes, both from a requirement and from a practical perspective.
As noted if you have a screen then demist is a good plan too, also from experience a screen is just another place to get wet on the inside if there are no side screens / door tops

^^ as above you need sides (possibly doors) to stop the buffeting you'd get with just a windscreen....
In my very limited experience of other folks cars a screen without the doors on was almost as bad as no windscreen at all
(this can make the inside of the windscreen as wet as the outside too)

An areoscreen / wind deflector is probably a better idea unless your prepared to fit wipers, heater and sides....

-

AndyW

posted on 2/2/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
For what its worth, I went from aeroscreen to windscreen, then fitted wipers (a must to be honest) then side screens. Been out in all weathers, got caught in torrential rain last year in France, roof on, doors on, wipers going, had no problems with misting up at all.

No rear protection and the only thing that got wet was my right shoulder and a couple of drips on my feet.

Irony

posted on 2/2/16 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
okay. So if I put in a screen I need wipers and a demister. Looking at GBS a windscreen and wipers set isn't very locost. Over £400.

Has anyone taken the wipers and motors from a donor successfully?
How are people demisting the screens? A little electric demister will surely be a waste of time. Are there any donor car heating systems that can be easily transplanted?

mcerd1

posted on 2/2/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Classic mini or land rover wipers (or lots of other old BL cars)
Different models had slightly different arcs and some had intermittent functions etc...

They are mor or less the same as the new Lucas style ones that most kits use (and the ones that SVC, Europa and the others sell)

I've also seen folk use the mini's heater matrix with a folded up alloy box around it and PC case fans....

-

nick205

posted on 2/2/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Heard of people using classic Mini wipers successfully - may work for you.

For demisters you may want to plumb in a heater/fan of some kind or I believe there are electric ones (no idea on how good they are though).

rusty nuts

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Will the GBS screen fit a Viento? Suspect you may find it won't Snuggs has a Brasscraft screen on his Viento but it wasn't cheap

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.