Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat 500 seat belt help
jacko

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat 500 seat belt help

HI all
Is there any body that can help with a problem with an inertia seat belt
The problem is when you pull it out you can only pull it about 50mm before it locks then another 50mm etc
what could / will be causing this to happen
thanks
graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/2/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Normally an issue with the angle its mounted needs a bit of adjustment .
bigrich

posted on 2/2/16 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Try fully extracting the belt then pull on it with quite a bit of force. Let it retract an see how it operates. Has worked in the past for me

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

nick205

posted on 3/2/16 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
My experience with inertia belts other than tin top driving is (as above) to do with the angle of the mounting of the container part. If it's off then it triggers the inertia action. Having said that, if you've not moved it then how would it be off angle - could be loose I suppose!

ETA...in tin tops the container part is usually behind a cover and difficult to see. You may have to remove a cover to get to it - be careful as the plastic clips can break quite easily I've found.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by nick205]

jacko

posted on 3/2/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
The fixing of the inertia park looks as if it is in the right place
i hope it isn't going to be a new one £200 + i believe
graham

[Edited on 3/2/16 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motivforz

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I got locked into my fiat punto seat once by an inerter locking mech!

It can come down to friction in the belt. I retracted the whole thing after removing trim and shaking it to release. I then sprayed the first meter (that's normally wound up inside) of one side of the belt with a light lubricant. I made sure that it was compatable with the belt material - I think it was silicone but not certain.

After that the belt's run much more freely and hasn't done it since, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's a permanent fix.

jacko

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motivforz
I got locked into my fiat punto seat once by an inerter locking mech!

It can come down to friction in the belt. I retracted the whole thing after removing trim and shaking it to release. I then sprayed the first meter (that's normally wound up inside) of one side of the belt with a light lubricant. I made sure that it was compatable with the belt material - I think it was silicone but not certain.

After that the belt's run much more freely and hasn't done it since, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's a permanent fix.

This is very interesting i will give it a go at the weekend at the moment we have a peg stopping the belt going back in

But the MOT is coming up soon

This forum is fantastic what ever anyone asks about someone has the answer or suggestions how the fix it
Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.