Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec water Plumbing
gav2612

posted on 3/2/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec water Plumbing

Hi All,

have been hunting round about for the best routing of the coolant system on the 2.0 Duratec that I'm fitting to my Sylva Striker. There seems to be a number of different ways of doing it, but the below image seems to be the one that would work easiest for me and also has the water rail or pipe running down the inlet side rather than by the exhaust. I would imagine this to be better for heat reasons. Any comments?

Also, i'm having issues with fitting the standard duratec mechanical thermostat round an upper chassis rail as the engine sits offset to the passengers side in the striker. With that in mind, im also considering a custom thermostat housing but would struggle to fabricate one that has the two inlets on it (one from the rad, one from header tank in picture) Any issues with running a single inlet with a T-Piece just before it?

Description
Description

Hornet

posted on 3/2/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi bud. Mines is slightly different in that your 16mm outlet from the header tank goes to your blank at the rear of the engine.
big-vee-twin

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did it works fine

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

You need the bypass circuit as it is this flow that warms up the thermostat to make it open.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

gav2612

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys. Any comments on a custom single inlet on the thermostat housing with a t in the line in to it? Going to try and make the original one fit, but I've already cut it back quite far and I'm still tight for room. My welding's getting better quickly with the amount I'm doing at the moment, but not much I can do with plastic!

Veetwin, tweaked the spacing by a couple of mm or so on your old throttle bodies and they're now mounted and ready to go. They're in great condition, so thanks again. just need to now get all the other million things done round them and I'm looking forward to firing it up. I see you now have 193bhp on the Jenveys. Did you ever have it rolling roaded with the gsxr bodies on? Hoping for 180bhp to start off with and get used to the car for the first year or so then maybe aim for 200 with upgraded cams further down the line

Gavin

big-vee-twin

posted on 4/2/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
No I didn't RR the GSXr bodies but was hoping for about 180 . I was suprised when 193 was obtained with the Jenvey on a stock engine.

Yes I commented on the tee- the bypass is needed to warm the stat so as long as you maintain that flow through you should be OK.

[Edited on 4/2/16 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

gav2612

posted on 6/2/16 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hornet, did you blank off the smaller pipe in to the thermostat housing then if it wasn't connected to the header tank? If that's the case and it works ok, then I could run it the same way as you have with a simple single entry housing. I've been looking at one from a ford Ka that looks like it would fit with an adapterb plate and is cheap as chips.
Hornet

posted on 7/2/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I blanked it of with a stop end for a washing machine to waste pipe fitting lol. I also trimmed about 25mm of the thermostat hose fitting to give me some more clearance. Mines seems to work well but hasn't been tested in traffic on a hot day yet!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.