Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.8 Silvertop Block - Pre-95
Tatey

posted on 8/2/16 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
1.8 Silvertop Block - Pre-95

Evening all,

I am currently looking at all options for getting my Haynes on the road. I bought a 1.8l pre-95 silvertop zetec a few years ago, which I am running on Megajolt and carbs. The head gasket has gone at some point in it's life which has meant a lot of water has been sitting in the one of the bores which has damaged the bore to the extent were it either needs a rebore, a new block or a new engine.

I want to stick with a pre-95 engine as I have everything for the zetec to run on carbs, and my car is so very close to IVA I don't want to rip out my carbed system that I haven't been able to use in anger yet to fit fuel injection and a cat to get through the stricter post-95 emissions.

So I am wondering if anyone has a pre-95 1.8l silvertop block sitting around there garage they would like shot of. Ideally I would like it to be a short engine with crank and pistons as it makes my life a bit easier, if not I will take what I can get. I've toyed with the idea of buying a new engine but complete pre-95 zetecs are like hens teeth and I don't want to chuck a load of money at one to risk it being a dud like the one I own. So my plan at the moment is to rebuild my silvertop with either a new block or some oversized pistons.

On a side note, has anyone ever bored out a 1.8l to 2.0l? This means I can then fit some standard 2.0l pistons and run it with my 1.8l head. I know some people do fit the 1.8l head to the 2.0l engine and I would guess that Ford have used the same block but bored out the 2.0l.

kingster996

posted on 8/2/16 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's not a 1.8 but spotted this on eBay Ford 2.0L Zetec Silver Top Engine 1993 - 2004 (Zeta)

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/2/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
ssshhhhhhhh......that's on my list.....
nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Given the cost of them I'd just buy another complete motor and fit it. Doesn't seem worth removing and reworking to me.

prawnabie

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
It may well be the height of the block that is different aswell, not just the bore size.
big_wasa

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware that a crate motor is unlikely to have an engine number and a rebore to your motor won't be cheap.
750mc

posted on 10/2/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sent you a pm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.