Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting problems
AlanH

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Starting problems

Hello.
I have been having problems in getting my car started. I put it down to a poor battery and just not being familiar with starting an engine with Weber 40's. Somebody suggested a "lazy" starter.
Can anybody explain this or how to check it out?
Cheers.
A

HowardB

posted on 15/2/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Quick check by jumping from another car/battery will tell if it's the battery.

What are the symptoms, slow crank, back fire, flooding?

Really could be a range of things,..

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Some basic checks

First of all you should check the battery voltage -- with the key off after sitting for an hour or two without the engine running it varies with temperature but you should expect to see expect 12.5v to 12.8v If not charge the battery, let it rest for an hour or so and check the voltage again.
A quick check is to turn the side lamps on for 5 to 10 minutes to take the surface charge off the batter and then re-check battery voltage if it has dropped below or 12.4 or more than 0.2v it points towards a bad battery.

You should then try and start the engine and observe the battery voltage while you crank the engine.
The voltage dip when operating the starter should follow a pattern similar to this oscilloscope graph.

Using a digital voltmeter anything above 10v while cranking the engine indicates the battery passes the test, below 9 indicates a bad battery or the battery terminals need cleaned and tightened.

If the engine still cranks slowly the next check is to put a kown good jump lead between the battery negative and the engine block and try to crank the engine --- if it cranks faster then you have a bad earth lead connection between the block and the battery negative.

If you car passes all these tests then if you have slow cranking you need to look at the starter or excessive ignition static advance.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

AlanH

posted on 15/2/16 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Slow crank turnover Howard, thought it was flooding but pulled out the plugs and they were dry.
Use a jump start recently to get it going but obviously this needs fixing.
Cheers
A

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.