<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EU Brexit Poll
gregs

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I don't think we have the slightest idea what being out will look like
I have a very deep fear that the general public will vote out just because of the migrant crisis confusing EU free movement with non EU migration due to the Middle East crisis.
One thing is for sure, if we leave the French will be giving free tickets to migrants and the jungle camp will move to British shores
The next issue will be that British produce will suddenly not be compliant with EU regulations
The list will go on and on

I'm in because I cannot image what out will realy look like

Totally agree - can't figure out what it's going to look like -

But -

One thing that we shouldn't forget is that if we leave the EU (whatever that actually means) we still remain part of various other organisations UN, G8, NATO and so will still have to be 'globally responsible' and follow a similar (ish) course..... if we take our own route to achieving it you can guarantee it'll cost us more...

gregs

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
European made goods?? Every thing, apart from salad, we have has 'made in China' on it..

Sorry just checked, phone and tablet have Korea on them...

Only thing I'm a bit nervous about the exit is moving to Spain, but there are plenty Russians living there who don't get treated any different.

I'm out, nothing they can say or do will change my mind. Even if Germany invaded we can fight them off again!

This is Great Britian, we have in the past, and can again stand on our own two feet! I wonder what the Queen thinks about it all (even if she is German)

Easy to forget the benefits of being in - have you thought about Health care when you're in Spain (it's currently provided by the EU)...

BTW net exports from Europe only 6 billion euros a month.

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
" if we take our own route to achieving it you can guarantee it'll cost us more..."

£50,000,000,000 buys a lot of achieving your own, do not forget that people in the Euro zones will still want to purchase from us.

I can clearly remember the year that Spain took the same amount of money out of the EU to pay for its new road network that the UK paid in... Quietest motorway network you will fine, massively over specified for the requirement but if it's 'free' take take take!

I am moving towards out, they cannot make laws specifically against the UK

[Edited on 23/2/16 by mark chandler]

Shooter63

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I loved the spin put out today, the news stated that out of the100 top footsie companies asked wether thay would leave the uk if we left the eu " over a third said they would leave" instead of " nearly two thirds would stay" this came about as the polsters hoped the out answer would be 86/100
gregs

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
" if we take our own route to achieving it you can guarantee it'll cost us more..."

£50,000,000,000 buys a lot of achieving your own, do not forget that people in the Euro zones will still want to purchase from us.

I can clearly remember the year that Spain took the same amount of money out of the EU to pay for its new road network that the UK paid in... Quietest motorway network you will fine, massively over specified for the requirement but if it's 'free' take take take!

I am moving towards out, they cannot make laws specifically against the UK

Sorry wasn't clear - will cost you and me more, simple economies of scale - if we have a unique requirement (ie not aligned to the rest of the EU) products will likely cost more to buy.

[Edited on 23/2/16 by gregs]

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^
It costs us a lot to stay in, on balance I would say it would be cheaper to stay out and spend the money on our own infrastructure and institutions.

If the pound were to devalue then our goods become cheaper/more attractive in Europe, problem is we do not know what will happen, I am just saying to stay in costs a fortune, £50 billion p.a. is being quoted. You are still paying even if it is through tax

Only 1/3 of footsie 100 answered the poll, most need to have a board meeting before they can put pen to paper or would simply decline to answer.

If they are private companies it's a fair question, if they are answering for the shareholders it's questionable if they should answer at all with the caveat that they should look to what's best for the companies interest.

The people that wanted out in the poll were the private enterprises in the main, people that started their own companies which to my mind are people that know how to succeed instinctively,

Another thing that is swaying me is that the UK special concession was not widely reported in the other countries, the French PM just scoffed and said it was pretty much worthless and would not make any difference which is why he signed in the end. Could just be bravado I suppose?

Still need to be better informed, it is quite convincing either way, safe to stay, a gamble to leave but it could be better? The question is then would it be worse or the same to chance our arm.

gregs

posted on 23/2/16 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
^^^^
It costs us a lot to stay in, on balance I would say it would be cheaper to stay out and spend the money on our own infrastructure and institutions.

If the pound were to devalue then our goods become cheaper/more attractive in Europe, problem is we do not know what will happen, I am just saying to stay in costs a fortune, £50 billion p.a. is being quoted. You are still paying even if it is through tax

Only 1/3 of footsie 100 answered the poll, most need to have a board meeting before they can put pen to paper or would simply decline to answer.

If they are private companies it's a fair question, if they are answering for the shareholders it's questionable if they should answer at all with the caveat that they should look to what's best for the companies interest.

The people that wanted out in the poll were the private enterprises in the main, people that started their own companies which to my mind are people that know how to succeed instinctively,

Guess there will be loads more facts, figures and opinions that come out over the next 3 months - will be interesting to see how it pans out!

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Pinched from another forum but kind of sums up my feelings at the moment

"We started the NHS system. A great idea and able to support the numbers of people that worked. That contributed back into the system to enable it to work. Then after a period of time more and more people came into our system from all over the world. Some work and contribute into the funding system. Many do not work but use the NHS, moved into the country and are supported free.The NHS is an excellent idea, but being over used by many that will never 'put back funding', Just want the service and free. This is why a Fantastic System is struggling.

This reminds me of the EU. When the Common Market was started it was a good idea. As it progressed more and more joined. Many contributed into the EU fund, but too many are taking out of the EU fund. Too many want to live in EU, but will never put back in the funding to make the system work.
Like any 'club' membership you should always have the choice to pay and remain, or leave. When the benefits are not there or the rules change. It becomes not what you first bought into. I feel this is happening to the EU now.

It is time to remove the Takers from the EU to keep the people that Put into the System. This way we would not want to walk away"

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 23/2/16 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Pinched from another forum but kind of sums up my feelings at the moment

"We started the NHS system. A great idea and able to support the numbers of people that worked. That contributed back into the system to enable it to work. Then after a period of time more and more people came into our system from all over the world. Some work and contribute into the funding system. Many do not work but use the NHS, moved into the country and are supported free.The NHS is an excellent idea, but being over used by many that will never 'put back funding', Just want the service and free. This is why a Fantastic System is struggling.

This reminds me of the EU. When the Common Market was started it was a good idea. As it progressed more and more joined. Many contributed into the EU fund, but too many are taking out of the EU fund. Too many want to live in EU, but will never put back in the funding to make the system work.
Like any 'club' membership you should always have the choice to pay and remain, or leave. When the benefits are not there or the rules change. It becomes not what you first bought into. I feel this is happening to the EU now.

It is time to remove the Takers from the EU to keep the people that Put into the System. This way we would not want to walk away"

i) The NHS is in trouble because of decades of high level mismanagement and a series of governments which were more interested in increasing the private stake in it (PFI's are the prime example of this). It really has nothing to do with membership of the EU.

ii) On the whole the majority of people who immigrate from the EU hold down jobs and on the whole contribute to the economy.

iii) On costs and a couple of other things, there's a good article here
Summarising:
a) Money out - approximately £8.6 billion a year (roughly 0.5% of GDP). With the rebates and money coming back in that drops down to about £6.7 billion.
b) Estimated money back into the economy through membership: between £62 billion and £78 billion per year.

[Edited on 23/2/16 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

02GF74

posted on 24/2/16 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I am just saying to stay in costs a fortune, £50 billion p.a. is being quoted. You are still paying even if it is through tax

You are assuming that the saving will go into our pockets. ... the way i look at polticians, its more likely to be spent on duck houses.

No idea how i will vote, criteria will be which one will leavr mr with more. Im looking to retire soon so that will matter, sod any philantropy to the poorer members.

mark chandler

posted on 24/2/16 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I,m sure whatever happens we will not see any savings, but at least as a country we shall be able to direct who recieves it.
JoelP

posted on 27/2/16 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I see no reason to leave. To those people complaining aboutexcess rules and regulations coming from Brussels - can you actually specify one that affects you? To me, harmonising rules across Europe is a good thing. The small amount of money we pay in overall (13m a day net, or about 25p a day each) is simply wealth redistribution to the poorer states of Europe, which I support too. I also couldn't give a hoot about migration.

What I would say though is that Cameron's deal iswishy washy, it is meant to address the delusions of Daily Heil readers and deals with nothing that is actually a real problem .

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 26/3/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
We must keep this thread alive, and at the top, as it will affect all of us at some point soon

as for me, confused, as im in, and out, and not sure, not that helps at all

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

coozer

posted on 26/3/16 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I see no reason to leave. To those people complaining aboutexcess rules and regulations coming from Brussels - can you actually specify one that affects you? To me, harmonising rules across Europe is a good thing. The small amount of money we pay in overall (13m a day net, or about 25p a day each) is simply wealth redistribution to the poorer states of Europe, which I support too. I also couldn't give a hoot about migration.

What I would say though is that Cameron's deal iswishy washy, it is meant to address the delusions of Daily Heil readers and deals with nothing that is actually a real problem .

As an HGV driver I can point to all sorts if regulations pushed on us with penalty's for not complying.

Eg: Motorway speed limit in the UK for vehicles over 7.5t? 60 mph. However all hgvs are restricted to 90 kph (56 mph) by European law.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JR

posted on 26/3/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I heard that, the biggest market in the world for BMW cars outside Germany itself, is the UK. I also heard that the biggest market in the world for Renault Sport models is the UK, even bigger than France - the French don't buy many petrols. A while back, the Peugeot 206 was the best selling privately bought car in the UK, and it was made here as well. And that's without mentioning the immensely successful marketing drive of Nicole and Papa (Clio), or the unrivalled popularity of the Scenic. Plus, the UK is Europe's biggest market for convertibles (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Peugeot, VW).

There's no way the French and Germans will put unaffordable tariffs on our British made Japanese cars, or any of our manufactured goods for that matter, knowing we'd just turn around and bite them right back. WE BUY MORE FROM THEM THAN THEY DO FROM US. The British people are not stupid; project fear will not work. There would inevitably be some import tariffs, but that will still be less than we currently pay to the EU. If we leave, we could receive a net gain.

Join the ERM, they said, you can't survive without it. We joined; we nearly went bankrupt. We got out in a hurry and miraculously recovered! Join the Euro currency, they said, or you'll get left behind. Ireland: bankrupt. Italy, a large manufacturing economy, could have to bailed out. Meanwhile, Norway and Switzerland, who are neither users of the Euro currency nor part of the EU, are somehow flourishing. How on earth could that be???

As you can tell, I'm out, and I won't be motivated by fear. Forgive me for going on a bit. I just wanted you to know why.

ali f27

posted on 26/3/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Still have not seen enough to take me one way or the other i have allways felt that for the last 30 years we were never really in everybody talks about Great Briton. The Great Briton they are talking about would be in there running the show not just sniping and whining on the side lines our greatest Briton was Churchill he would have been in the front in the middle telling johnny foreigner how its all going to be our politicians cannot run Briton never mind the EU as well they are a laughing stock in europe .
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.