Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SRN4 Hovercraft - UK heritage at risk.
gregs

posted on 22/2/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
SRN4 Hovercraft - UK heritage at risk.

All

I'm not a hovercraft buff, nor do they massively interest me but I do believe in keeping our industrial, tech and scientific heritage alive or at least visible. Anybody of a similar disposition may be interested in this.

Hoverspeed 'giant' Hovercraft are at risk of being sent to the scrapheap - petition below to try and save the better one.

Not 100% sure if the petition is pointed at the right body - but at least gives a clear indication of public feeling.

https://www.change.org/p/homes-and-communities-agency-save-the-princess-anne-the-last-remaining-srn4-hovercraft-for-the-nation?recruiter=494163094& ;utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Greg

mark chandler

posted on 22/2/16 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Noisy old things, when I travelled on one I was amazed at the size of the loading bay, clambered up some stairs to a rows of tightly fitting seats like a plane sliced up and laid out side by side.

It then started to shake and tremble, lifted off the ground and you could see the port as it turned around then off to Calais, Windows covered in spray until it sat down 1\ hour later.

Not a great way to travel but memorable.

I did not like the seacats either, kept banging down as they crossed over, wonder where they went?

We should preserve our heritage, signed. I doubt they ever paid for themselves, the boat was much nicer

[Edited on 22/2/16 by mark chandler]

gregs

posted on 22/2/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Noisy old things, when I travelled on one I was amazed at the size of the loading bay, clambered up some stairs to a rows of tightly fitting seats like a plane sliced up and laid out side by side.

It then started to shake and tremble, lifted off the ground and you could see the port as it turned around then off to Calais, Windows covered in spray until it sat down 1 hour later.

Not a great way to travel but memorable.

I did not like the seacats either, kept banging down as they crossed over, wonder where they went?

We should preserve our heritage, signed. I doubt they ever paid for themselves, the boat was much nicer

Only travelled on one once - I remember thinking how much like an aircraft it was - except the din at take off continued for the whole journey!

adithorp

posted on 22/2/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
How this for a coincidence... Got Quest on the TV showing Salvage Hunters and as I opened this thread... they're at the Hovercraft Museum with the 2 SRN4's

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scimjim

posted on 22/2/16 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
An hour to Calais? Should have been half an hour IIRC (22 mins was the record apparently?)

Yes they were noisy (compare a locost to a modern?) but we still can't get that many cars and passengers across the water as quickly as we did 20 years ago (remind you of anything else?)

mark chandler

posted on 22/2/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Head winds used to kill them, it was 1/2 hour until spell check attacked my post

Still it did hide my spelling and grammar

The passport office was smile, produce an English passport and off you go. land in France where the gates are just open, going the other way was the inverse.

tegwin

posted on 23/2/16 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
My grandfather was the technical director at the first hover port in Kent and helped to develop the service and a lot of the technology on the srn6 and later srn4 hovercraft. Infact he has an Srn4 engraved on his eternal headboard!

It's sad that that they are thinking of scrapping them. They are truly unique craft although I'd imagine are in pretty terrible condition and must cost a fair bit to look after. I always felt that the hovercraft museum should have joined forces with something else and been a major tourist attraction. If I won silly money on the lottery I've always wanted to buy one of the srn4 craft and get it running again :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Dingz

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Went on them a few times, loading was slick and easy but as said very noisy and as for trying to have a drink you might as well just pour in your lap straight away instead of dragging it out. Shame if they disappear though. I also had a trip on the early service across to the isle of Wight in a 12 seater? craft that was fun.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/2/16 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I also had a trip on the early service across to the isle of Wight in a 12 seater? craft that was fun.

I went on that thing and, in the end, I preferred the hydrofoil that ran almost the same route - took more passengers, went just as fast and was a lot more comfortable.

Toprivetguns

posted on 23/2/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
The cockpit is a thing of beauty, just like the Concorde.

Id gladly have the engines as a Sunday toy just to rev and annoy the neighbours.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

gregs

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
The cockpit is a thing of beauty, just like the Concorde.

Id gladly have the engines as a Sunday toy just to rev and annoy the neighbours.

Guess that was what Donald Campbell was thinking when he stuck one in Bluebird!

LBMEFM

posted on 23/2/16 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Loved them, quick way across the water. Spent many hours with my Dad on the cliffs at Dover watching them.
tegwin

posted on 23/2/16 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just having a shufty through old boxes... found these along with various other interesting things...

Apparently this incident scared the bejesus out of an excecise and customs man who'd just nipped out to take a dump..

Cause appears to have been excessive vibration and incorrect locking hardware on the bolts causing them to undo... several other props were found to be lacking in torque on the retaining nuts after use

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

LBMEFM

posted on 24/2/16 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, I remember that, I also believe a bait digger was run over by one on Pegwell Bay but emerged unscathed.
Toprivetguns

posted on 24/2/16 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent photos

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.