Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Voltage Regulator for dash dials?
Moorron

posted on 2/3/16 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Voltage Regulator for dash dials?

Hi guys, knowing some of you here know something about all this Elec trickery stuff I need some advice.

My dash water temp and fuel tank level seems to give different readings when the engine is running and when not which points to the available voltage in the car (14v vs 12v). As these gauges are just volt meters using a potential divider they will get effected by the different volts.

Is there an easy way to regulate their supply voltage to 12v all the time regardless of the engine running or not? I was thinking of supplying my entire dash loom with it so must handle 2 amps?

I can solder and make up a circuit but you guys might know of something off the shelf that is small and safe to use?

Cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

ken555

posted on 2/3/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Lucas style voltage regulator, just use a simple 7810 to keep the voltage at 10V.

How I did it.

of course you don't need to put it in a case, just bolt it to something metal as a heatsink.

[Edited on 2-3-16 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 2/3/16 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with the solution above BUT if you want to run anything sensitive then I would put in a couple of filtering capacitors at the very least to smooth out any ripples from the altenrator

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ken555

posted on 3/3/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Nothing wrong with the solution above BUT if you want to run anything sensitive then I would put in a couple of filtering capacitors at the very least to smooth out any ripples from the altenrator

I'm assuming Bi-Metal Gauges, if they need a regulated voltage that would seem to suggest an older "Smiths" style gauge.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 3/3/16 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Smiths make one it's a bi metallic switch I used this for my Smiths guages Smiths Gauges BR1308 Voltage Stabiliser BHA4602 for MGB & Negative Earth Cars

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Moorron

posted on 3/3/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ken, looks nice and simple.

Will empty my fuel tank and re calibrate it once I have fitted the little regulator under the dash.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

steve m

posted on 3/3/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used one of these , with my smiths clocks

Smiths Gauges BR1308 Voltage Stabiliser BHA4602 for MGB & Negative Earth Cars

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.