Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12R Engine Set Up
Jeano

posted on 7/3/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R Engine Set Up

Hey All,

i searched and read loads of threads on ZX12r conversions from turbos to issues with clutchs and gear boxs.

How do people get them set up, can the carbs just be set up or do you need a power commander?

I dont want more power I just have a minor flat spot i would like to remove.

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

adithorp

posted on 7/3/16 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thought the zx12 was injection, so throttle bodies not carbs. The original map will be set up for the standard air-box and exhaust. To maximise tune for whatever air-box/filter and exhaust you have you'll need a power commander.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rf900rush

posted on 7/3/16 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Dax Rush with a ZX12R (Yes I miss it )

From memory there are two basic versions, both are injected, but have different ECU,s.

Yes power commander. Although I saw some info that suggested that the early models could have the standard ECU remapped.

Mine was a 2004/5 model with a sausage filter and a Dax exhaust system.

If you do go for a power commander I may be able to find some old MAP i saved, if you have the same model engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 7/3/16 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
As above, you will need a power commander and ideally a rolling road. It is worth it - I gained 25bhp from a remap as the standard map wont be great with your changes to the airbox and zorst. Where in the country are you?
Jeano

posted on 8/3/16 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Im in Essex around 10mins from Dax old garage, power commander it probably is then. Havent really looked under the engine at the BEC but may have a snoop at the weekend.

rf900rush - did you have a issue with exhaust noise for tracks with your zx12r?

I will get the engine code at the weekend.

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

Moorron

posted on 8/3/16 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
My 2004 zx12 wouldn't run with the standard map in my MK Indy. It was way to rich with an ITG filter and R1 straight thru exhaust. Power commander (PCusb) and LC1 lambda in the exhaust got me tuning it the locost way, Went out for a drive recording the outputs on the laptop and then adjusting the map until it was nice at WOT (13 AFR), then set idle and lower throttle accelerations which took a lot of time, but its been running fine for the last 5 years. Should really take it to a rolling road for the amount of time it took me to get it right.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

rf900rush

posted on 8/3/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I ten yeas of owner ship never had a chance on a track day. Having Kids etc.

Noise test at the SVA test was using the same exhaust but with a RF900RR engine and loads of sound deadening material and nnly just past.
So I guess mine would of failed on many tracks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.