Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shed electrics advice...
jps

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Shed electrics advice...

Doubtless this is a real bodge, but....

I currently run power down to my shed using a cheapo 25mtr extension cable, from an outdoor socket on the back of my house. In the shed I'm just running a florescent tube and power supply for my laptop/speakers...

I'd like to stick a wire down permanently, basically just replicating the existing setup but a bit neater, probably by burying it a few inches under the lawn, or possibly tacking it down the side of the garden fence.

Apart from it being a bodge, are there any major pitfalls here? And is there a cheaper way of doing it than just butchering the cheapo extension reel to get it in place?

loggyboy

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
With anything more permanent than a extension then to letter of law you should get an electrician to do and sign off (or just sign off what you've done).

Mistral Motorsport

Macbeast

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ultraviolet will eventually harden and crack PVC cable covering. Anything permanent you should use proper armoured cable.
Especially if it is buried.

[Edited on 22/3/16 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
You should really use armoured cable for this sort of job; it may be expensive, but it's designed for a reason. However, if money is really tight then you could continue to use the current setup - but my advice would be to feed the cable into a suitable length of hosepipe, seal the ends with leccy tape/self-amalgamating tape or heatshrink, and bury under the ground to a decent depth (and position) where it's not likely to be stabbed or cut into. This isn't a compliant approach of suitable long-term, but should see you through.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

tegwin

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I wired up my dads shed 13 years ago using plastic conduit and "normal" cable. (was cheaper than armoured). Pulled the power cable along with a Cat5 for ethernet into the conduit and burried it.... Its still working fine.

In the shed I fitted a MCB/RCD type consumer unit with a lighting circuit and a ring main again protected in conduit to make it look smart.

Technically should have been done by a qualified individual... but given the fact the last electrician I hired managed to wire a three phase refridgeration compressor backwards and blew it up I think id rather do it myself knowing its done right....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
With anything more permanent than a extension then to letter of law you should get an electrician to do and sign off (or just sign off what you've done).

My understanding as well, that it should be at the very least tested and signed off by a qualified electrician. I would speak to an electrician first to check whether they're happy to do this though - not all will be without doing the work themselves.

[Edited on 22/3/16 by nick205]

Slimy38

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
You should really use armoured cable for this sort of job; it may be expensive, but it's designed for a reason. However, if money is really tight then you could continue to use the current setup - but my advice would be to feed the cable into a suitable length of hosepipe, seal the ends with leccy tape/self-amalgamating tape or heatshrink, and bury under the ground to a decent depth (and position) where it's not likely to be stabbed or cut into. This isn't a compliant approach of suitable long-term, but should see you through.

This is what I did for my electrics, a length of sealed hosepipe buried under a decorative path (IE not heavy traffic). I didn't permanently wire it in though, it had a plug on one end that went into an external socket. It was basically still an extension lead (although I'm not sure a sparky would see it the same way!).

jps

posted on 22/3/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38I didn't permanently wire it in though, it had a plug on one end that went into an external socket. It was basically still an extension lead (although I'm not sure a sparky would see it the same way!).

Yep, that's basically how I'm choosing to see it too, especially as it'll have a plug on the end and not be wired in permanently.

Hadn't considered the drain pipe idea, although I'd wondered whether burying would cause any heat problem, I guess this would alleviate that a bit. What spec wire did you use?

hearbear

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38I didn't permanently wire it in though, it had a plug on one end that went into an external socket. It was basically still an extension lead (although I'm not sure a sparky would see it the same way!).

Yep, that's basically how I'm choosing to see it too, especially as it'll have a plug on the end and not be wired in permanently.

Hadn't considered the drain pipe idea, although I'd wondered whether burying would cause any heat problem, I guess this would alleviate that a bit. What spec wire did you use?

If you are worried about heat you are running to much on the extension cable as there should be no heat at all.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

mark chandler

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
First shed wire I ran was cooker cable pulled into a bit of black pipe, it was not that successful so next time I purchased a length of armoured cable of a much higher rating off eBay and used that, it cost my be £70 for 50'

Once you have gone to the not inconsiderable effort of burying it the extra cost to do it right falls away.

craig1410

posted on 23/3/16 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
First shed wire I ran was cooker cable pulled into a bit of black pipe, it was not that successful so next time I purchased a length of armoured cable of a much higher rating off eBay and used that, it cost my be £70 for 50'

Once you have gone to the not inconsiderable effort of burying it the extra cost to do it right falls away.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Same argument I use against using cheap gloss paint, most of the true cost is in the labour!

I've still got about 15m of armoured cable from last time I wired a garage in fact. At the time it was cheaper to buy a bigger pre-packaged coil than to buy what I needed by the metre.

Slimy38

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

Bog standard 10mm twin and earth, mainly because I had a reel of it sat in the garage.

SJ

posted on 23/3/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
SWA is pretty good value. I got mine from here https://quickbit.co.uk/swa-cable/swa-cable-3-core
nick205

posted on 23/3/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Couldn't have put it better myself. Same argument I use against using cheap gloss paint, most of the true cost is in the labour!

I've still got about 15m of armoured cable from last time I wired a garage in fact. At the time it was cheaper to buy a bigger pre-packaged coil than to buy what I needed by the metre.

Agreed, do it properly and enjoy worry free electrics in the shed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.