Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows XP
designer

posted on 6/4/16 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Windows XP

As said previously, as recent windows versions don't take Autocad 2000, I found a three year old laptop with Vista on it. My laptop that died had Vista and Autocad 2000 worked. This lapton as a newer version of Vista and Autocad won't work.

My solution is to load XP onto it and use it just for drawing and sending drawings.

My question is: Will XP be able to use the built in WiFi?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 6/4/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not just a 64 big problem

I've just about got it working on x64 win7 (using an install shield converter, the installer is s 16 bit program) but then we got autocad 2012.

If you're got win7 you should be able to download virtual machine and run it as if in XP

-

SteveWalker

posted on 6/4/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you do install XP on it or as a virtual machine, Microsoft have stopped issuing security updates, leaving you open to newly discovered bugs. However, despite what Microsoft says, they have not stopped producing patches, they just won't make them available to the public. The reason they are still producing patches (and will for some years yet) is that many Point of Sales devices, cashpoints and other dedicated systems still use XP. A quick search will find a registry hack that will make XP appear to be the POS version and updates will once again be enabled.
designer

posted on 6/4/16 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Might give a Visual machine a go.

Not realy bothered about the security side of XP as my internet is mostly with a new machine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

If you're got win7 you should be able to download virtual machine and run it as if in XP

Can you still get the virtual machine? I thought Microsoft withdrew the packages when XP stopped?

balidey

posted on 6/4/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem recently. Old CAD package called Drafix will not run on 32 bit windows, so installed Windows XP Mode (the MS name for their virtual PC).
I could then run the package on new machine and I could even print and create PDFs using all the drivers and stuff on the host machine.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Smoking Frog

posted on 6/4/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I use AutoCAD Lt 2000. Works fine on Win7 32bit.
harmchar

posted on 6/4/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
What about a dual boot setup with XP as a second OS when using Autocad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.