Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New work bench built - happy chap
nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
New work bench built - happy chap

Well after a rubbish year last year, a lot of time in hospital and now having epilepsy I've finally unpacked all my stuff in my garage. A lot of it I've thought "why the hell did I pack that" and thrown it out and a lot of it I've thought "arse, I've bought another one of those". The end result is a much tidier garage with more space.

Having a pile of unused 4" x 2" timber doing nothing I built a new frame for a work bench. I then sourced a 2m sheet of kitchen worktop from Wickes for £35 and fitted it on the top. I've also bolted down my pillar drill and vice and am very pleased to have a new work bench in place. It's cost next to nothing and is very stable too

Happy lad!

jeffw

posted on 21/4/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
It is probably worth a photo or two, which I'll add when I've taken them.

coozer

posted on 21/4/16 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, get some pics up for us to drool over...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

Not sure you'll drool that much, it's a timber framed delight, but that's all

Adamirish

posted on 21/4/16 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is worthless without pics!

I am actually going to embark on a bench build soon but unsure whether to make it out of box section and weld it or build it out of wood. It too will be too mount my pillar drill, bench grinder and vice to.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

I had the timber to hand so it was the obvious choice for me.

Given free reign I would probably have gone for box section welded up with a big metal worktop.

ianhurley20

posted on 21/4/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was made from 4x4 and waterproof chipboard flooring. Woodworking vice and metal working vice added and Its brilliant. Nick, I'm jealous, kitchen worktop - wow! - that must be really good :-)

MikeR

posted on 21/4/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been building mine for 6 months (i just have no time - hence the car is still not finished).

4x2 c16 from when i was building a deck - i 'accidentally' ordered too much. Kitchen work surface from a skip 1.5x normal width and nearly 2m long. Every corner has two bits of 2x4. Idea is it will be strong and last - in that vein its screwed and bolted and glued.

Love some pictures as i'm about to do final build and would love a sanity check of what i'm doing.

bi22le

posted on 22/4/16 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
I will be building my bench this summer so everybody should stick pictures up!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 22/4/16 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures will be up shortly.

Has to be said the Wickes kitchen worktop was cheap and is perfectly flat too so good for making things on. Last night I used some Screfix right angle steel brackets and screwed it to the wall so it can't move either.

Matt21

posted on 22/4/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, photos required!

Here is mine I did a couple of weeks back
It has been made slightly higher than a normal work bench as I'm quite tall and found myself crouching over the old one.
Simple steel frame bolted to the wall at the rear and 18mm OSB board for the top, still a few bits to do to 'finish' it off.
The top will get a sheet of steel on it to make it more durable and easier to clean/oil resistant.
A Lick of paint
The shelves on the left will be removed and a heavier duty half height set put there instead, and the red tool chest on the top of the bench will be moved off onto the right hand wall once the shelves there are gone, that will give me more floor space at the back of the garage
I may add another long shelf above the one that is there too

Description
Description

Next up is fresh paint on the walls and floor (maybe ceiling too) and better lighting

nick205

posted on 22/4/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
^^^

Looks good and I do like the tool storage as well.

I'm lucky enough to have my tool storage next to my bench spread along one side of my garage.

Matt21

posted on 22/4/16 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
the chest under the bench was actually an afterthought.

It has always been on the left under the rest of the chest, but I just happened to make the bench the right height to fit it underneath so thought it may aswell go there!

I think it will be getting moved off to the right though and cupboards made for underneath

nick205

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Finally some photos of my efforts...

...have to say I'm very pleased with it. It's secured to the wall and flat as you like so easy to work on. Having the vice and pillar drill bolted down helps as well - easier to use and stationary too.

ETA...the other tool which really help when building the frame is a pocket hole drilling jig. Dead easy to drill suitable holes in the ends of the 4" x 2" timber and screw the bits together straight and true.

[Edited on 25/4/16 by nick205]

Andybarbet

posted on 25/4/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good, I got the same worktop a few years ago but in white, it had some chips in the top so was in the bargain bin, I will try & find a photo, even have my vice & pillar drill in the same place as yours.
Only difference is I managed to get two free metal office cupboards from an office clearance my cousin did so they are my base, very solid & plenty of hidden storage.

Looks like you have a nice workspace there.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

nick205

posted on 25/4/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
It is indeed a good space. Although technically a single garage there is enough width to get a car in and still use the bench. My 205GTI fits in there well. The Wickes worktop is cheap IMHO at £31.50 and perfectly flat as well.

loggyboy

posted on 25/4/16 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Where/how much for the jig?

Mistral Motorsport

bi22le

posted on 25/4/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Where/how much for the jig?

Same.

I wondered how you managed to fix the ends of the 4 x 2 together as there are no brackets. Did you use the at all fixings or just to pilot drill?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 25/4/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
^^^

IIRC the jig in a wooden box with 100 screws and a drill bit cost approx. £40.00. I've screwed it to the bench to hold it still and it works well. The supplied screws are approx. 1" long and driven with a supplied square Allen key type driver. For this project I used 1.5" screws to gain a little more purchase. I then used Screwfix supplied right angle steel brackets to fix the bench to the wall and add some stability.

If you can afford the pocket hole jig it's a useful tool to have. I've also used it to repair some knackered draws around the edges - cheap, fast and robust.

nick205

posted on 25/4/16 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Aside from the jig itself, the key is the stepped drill bit that creates the counter bored hole...

Benzine

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Pocket holes?

Bench looks good Pocket screws are weak sauce though I'd have spent a little time making a basic joint (e.g. rabbet) + screw 'n glue it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/4/16 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Not untrue, Pocket Holes can be weaker than a mortise and tenon joint. However with the right length screws the speed and accuracy of them is hard to beat. Personally I don't have the time (or tools) to do more complex joints - Pocket Holes work OK for me.

MikeR

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to add some diagonals to the legs to help steady them (just in case) and it can't hurt.
Andybarbet

posted on 25/4/16 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, I fitted a breakfast bar in our old house, batten on the wall approx 6 ft long, 6 ft of worktop screw'd to it from underneath & 3 of those chrome leg things on the front, it was solid as a rock.

I reckon with that frame & the fact that you have fixed it to the wall, i'm betting it's pretty sturdy already.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.