Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bath or shower
steve m

posted on 26/4/16 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bath or shower

We are planning on a Bathroom revamp, well I wasn't but swmbo has !

we currently have a bath, with a shower in it, but the bath is rarely used, by either of us
as we both prefer showers

if I was to put a proper shower cubicle in, there would not be room for a bath as well.

What are peoples views, on perhaps buying a house with only a shower room, but no bath facility, as if we were to sell in the next 10 years that could possibly be a fail point, as in not having a bath

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JacksAvon

posted on 26/4/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Swarfega is the way forward

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

BenB

posted on 26/4/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a family style home? Who are you intended customers? With sprogs baths are much easier (and popular) than showers.
blakep82

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Very good question...
I havent had a bath in years, but I always find it strange to see a house with no bath. Not sure why, but I expect if I was looking to buy, no bath would put me off, even though it's completely irrational.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

40inches

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Took the bath out around 8 years ago, never missed it, re-tiled and put in a walk in cubicle, the type without a door.
Should also say that the floors and walls were tiled first, the cubicle can be easily removed and a bath fitted, if it stops a sale.

[Edited on 26-4-16 by 40inches]

morcus

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently looking to buy my first house, and even though I know I can change what ever I want I find it hard to consider a house without a bath (I've only rented before and obviously no bath then effectively means no bath ever). I do actually use the bath though for its intended purpose about once a fortnight.

On the other hand if you don't want one its not worth caring too much what theoretical future buyers want. My parents spent years doing up one of their houses to sell with no luck, when they gave up and did it how they actually wanted that's when it sold.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

steve m

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
"Is it a family style home? Who are you intended customers? With sprogs baths are much easier (and popular) than showers"

It is a family style of home, as in four bedrooms etc, near schools, in fact, thats why we bought the place, when the kids were 5 and 8

funny thing is that when we bought this place, it only had a shower, and installed a bath a couple of years later,

so it did not put us off, but currently we have no plans to move,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Really is a personal thing, so let's get a personal viewpoint, mine. I don't have kids, my last house didn't have a bath, just a shower - and that was off the kitchen on the ground floor of a 2-up 2-down ex-Authority. I didn't even think about the negatives of either, since I wanted the house for other reasons.

Current house has a similar issue as you. There is a bath, it's a 1.7 metre job that's been built into a wall(!), since the bathroom is too small. A 1.5 metre shoebox bath would fit, but it's the shower above the bath (electric) that gets used, so it makes sense to remove it all and go that route. Even more so in my case, since there's no central hot water available. I just can't be arsed, life is too short, cancer or the care home may be just around the corner.

So... would a shower-only bathroom stop *me* from buying your house - no. The only thing that would stop me would be your unrealistic financial expectation from sale.

steve m

posted on 26/4/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
"no. The only thing that would stop me would be your unrealistic financial expectation from sale"

minus a bath

hahahahahha

so £450k is a bit to high for you ?

twybrow

posted on 26/4/16 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would echo the family comment. If you have no desire to move, then do what suits you, but otherwise i would put in a bath to be safe. What about a shower bath (P-shaped)? Best of both worlds....
dhutch

posted on 26/4/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I do not have a shower very often at all, it can be years between showers.

However if I have the time, do actaully really like them, and with my last GF we would make quite an effort to get home early enough to have one together maybe once every 8 weeks or so, so on that basis alone I would consider it a negative aspect for a house to have shower only. I have also used it once or twice to do think like wash a rug in.

My house has a p-shaped bath, which makes a nice shower area. I would have put the taps in the middle too, so there was not a 'tap end' for when sharing. Prevents changing the tap from the side, but a lot of taps now are on stations and or very serviceable, so it should not be an issue. Other than replacing the really cheap crap brand less tat the previous owner fitted the only tap-ware I have had to replace is the mixed unit in my parents house which could be changed from the front with ease, leaving the base tiled into the wall, that was after 20 years just over, all other taps in the house are still original an untouched.

Daniel

nick205

posted on 27/4/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've not read every post above, but IMHO a shower cubicle and no bath is fine for me - I dislike having a bath anyway. We have a shower in a bath and I just shower. We do however have 3 kids aged 10 and twins of 8 so giving them a bath is preferable to letting them loose in the shower - we also live in a 3 bedroom family house. Ideally I'd convert the bathroom into a 4th bedroom and give the 3 kids a bedroom each. I'd then convert a rather large upstairs cupboard/room next to the bathroom into a shower room. Being next to the bathroom and with the combi boiler the other side of it drains and water would be easy enough to do.

loggyboy

posted on 27/4/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't plan on selling in next 5-10 years then do what you want. If you do then keep the bath IMO.
We have a good bath that has a very flat wide end and a built in lip for a shower screen. Its a great happy medium as I always shower, but the kids love to bath still (2 and 5 years old).
Sadly all the similar ones that are advertised now are L or P shaped and ugly, ours is a nice angled affair.

It was by these people http://www.astracast.com/uk/products/baths/

[Edited on 27-4-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
We recently refitted our bathroom - it's small, we used a shower over the bath, and that was getting to be a PITA. The bath was in a stupid place - under the window - so we had to shut the blinds before stepping into the bath/shower. The bath was also a bit small as it had to fit into a limited space.

Now, the bath has gone and we have a walk-in shower cubicle in the opposite corner of the bathroom. We also have a lot more floor-space now.

steve m

posted on 27/4/16 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

Some useful thoughts, to delve through,
we would still have the room to plonk a bath over the intended shower area, if required

thanks

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.