Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec running standard management
Wolf1e

posted on 18/5/16 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec running standard management

Hi guys

As title says really. Can this do done? I was looking at either st150 management or mx5 management but the issue with that is they both have fly by wiring for throttle? Is there a way to make it work without it having a hissy fit?

I need a system which will run a mechanical throttle body and work. Other option is posibly mondeo management as it uses a mechanical throttle body

Has anyone been able to do this conversion?

I'm looking at doing this instead of the itb route as on a tight budget.

If anybody can point me in the right direction that will be great.

Many thanks

Wolfie

big-vee-twin

posted on 19/5/16 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen quite a Duratec engines used, myself included. But never seen one using standard ECU.

Also the Duratec route is not cheap, so trying to do one one with limited funds is probably not the way to go.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mackei23b

posted on 19/5/16 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Having done a Duratec conversion as well I can confirm it's not a cheap option, bellhousing, sump etc soon add up.....

I'm running a megasquirt and throttle bodies on mine. A Zetec will still give good power in these cars for much less cost.

Description
Description

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 19/5/16 by mackei23b]

big_wasa

posted on 19/5/16 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am prety confident that I can do the Mondeo as it shares the same architecture as other engines of the same age. I've done the st170. I am doing the Focus Rs and the Mondeo St220, the duratec is on my list but there isn't enough hours in a day.

So the engine will run on the oem Mondeo ecu as a stand alone ecu with out dash or the gems unit. You will need pre and post o2 sensors, maf, air and coolant sensors, crank and cam sensors. The ecu also likes to see the idle valve working and a pulse from the gearbox. It also controls the thermostat.

The Mondeo engine has no vvt or dual stage inlet so you can free up the inlet and exhaust but the inlet will need some kind of plenum for the maf.
So you could have the duratec in and running around 150bhp and upgrade the ecu when you want more.

On the other hand I would also bet the the St150 ecu is Mazda based. I have read these have the dash coded to the ecu and need them but I havnt ever touched one.

[Edited on 19/5/16 by big_wasa]

Wolf1e

posted on 19/5/16 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Evening guy's

Thanks for the replies and advise. I have been looking at the gsxr throttle body route as well as car throttle bodies. Are there any other throttle bodies that would work from the bike manufactures?

I'm really trying to find the best route for the easiest installation.

I was only suggesting standard management as the cheapest option if it's possible.

Is there any differences between bike or car throttle bodies?

My list of options I have so far. Please suggest others if you know of any others:

Standard inlet and standard management if possible
bike throttle bodies with aftermarket management
car throttle bodies omex, jenvey etc with management

Which management systems are any good:

omex
emerald
Megasquirt
Motorsport electrics

I should probably change the title of my post to throttle body options

Thanks again

Regards
Wolfie

mackei23b

posted on 21/5/16 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
The Emerald is very popular with the Caterham community, in part as it uses the same loom connector for a lot of the K series cars.

Quite a few here have used the Megasquirt and it is a powerful bit of kit, I've built 2 of them, both times I've had the kits shipped from the US from https://www.diyautotune.com It just depends on how much work / versus cost savings and how confident you are working things out, versus plug and play.

I also got lucky and I got a second hand set of Jenveys and manifold for £300......

Weber Alpha also do a complete plug and play, but this is not cheap.

Cheers

Ian

neilp1

posted on 21/5/16 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've used GSXR TBs with omex ECU

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.