Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignition key stuck in barrel - help please
richardh

posted on 17/6/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition key stuck in barrel - help please

Hi, Mrs has an LDV convoy 400 that now has the ignition key stuck in the barrell.
We had to use a screwdriver on the rotor side to start at the moment.

Question is if we were to get a generic 12v Ignition barrel from a kit car spares or similar, rewire the current connections from the ignition barrel to this - what happens with the steering lock?

Is this a viable option? I'd rather pay for this method rather than the stupid money for a full on direct replacement and then the labour to remove the dash, steering column and then the sheer bolts etc.
Cheers

Time for a change!

Slimy38

posted on 17/6/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds quite reasonable to me, the steering lock would simply stay unlocked based on the key still being in the mounted barrel.

But I reckon it'll last maybe 48 hours before someone notices there is absolutely no security on the van, and it mysteriously vanishes like an old oak table.

Irony

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Your just bypassing the barrel essentially. Sounds reasonable, no more or less secure than most kit cars anyway.

Security depends on where you live, left my car door open one night with the key in the ignition. Someone shut the door, locked it and posted the key through the letter box.

02GF74

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It sounds quite reasonable to me, the steering lock would simply stay unlocked based on the key still being in the mounted barrel.

only as long as the stub remains there.. would it not worry you that the stub may drop out or somehow allow the steering to lock?

risk assessment - probabilty of event occurring and take into account consequences, the first may be very small but consequences are pretty high i.e. death.

can it be welded in? or just replace it?

miskit

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried a key extractor ?
Lots on ebay for a fiver.

Slimy38

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

only as long as the stub remains there.. would it not worry you that the stub may drop out or somehow allow the steering to lock?

risk assessment - probabilty of event occurring and take into account consequences, the first may be very small but consequences are pretty high i.e. death.

I understand your thinking, but isn't it the same as the risk of any vehicle steering lock engaging suddenly? The only time I've heard of accidents caused by steering locks is when the numpties behind the wheel remove their keys (or in the case of one car being towed, forget to put it in in the first place).

Although are you thinking that the lock is already faulty, therefore it's also likely the stub could be faulty?

richardh

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
Have you tried a key extractor ?
Lots on ebay for a fiver.

Oddly hadn't thought of that. Cheers

Time for a change!

richardh

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

Replacing it is stupidly expensive, hence why I thought about the idea of replacing with a generic one.

Time for a change!

richardh

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see how the steering lock would engage as the barrel assembly clamps around the steering column so how does it work out whether it would lock or unlock the steering?

What if I cut the sheer bolts and just removed the old assembly but still used a new generic ignition barrel?

Time for a change!

rusty nuts

posted on 18/6/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Use a hammer and cEnter punch to remove the shear bolts rather than cutting.
britishtrident

posted on 18/6/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Shear bolts are easy to remove without damaging the steering lock assembly by unscrewing by using a punch on the heds to drive the bolts counter-clockwise. but generally stuck keys on BL type steering locks will come out , if it solidly stuck remove the steering lock from the column to take the pressure off the locking bolt and work the key loose off the vehicle.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

19sac65

posted on 18/6/16 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
From memory
If you take off the surround you should see a hole in the casing on the side of the barrel which is the release pin
If you switch the key to pos 2 and put a drift into the hole and press the key and barrel should pull out of the housing
Then just replace the key and barrel
Theyre common to lots of BL stuff , landrovers etc - cheap off ebay

richardh

posted on 19/6/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, No pin hole or anything there and the barrel isn't a removable one apparently.
Need to take the sheer bolts out and find out how the steering lock works as I just can't see how that would be connected to the steering whatsoever.

Going to replace the entire mechanism with a new ignition barrel from kit spares I think.

Cheers folks

Time for a change!

02GF74

posted on 19/6/16 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Although are you thinking that the lock is already faulty, therefore it's also likely the stub could be faulty?

Well to me youd be driving the vehicle in a mode it was never designed and consequences of steering lock coming on unexpectedly can be very severe.

If there was a 100% guarantee the stub would never cause the steering lock to engage then itd be fine, otherwise itd be there niggling away at the back of my mind.

richardh

posted on 19/6/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Did a bit of hunting around and looks like the steering lock bit comes out from the underside of the mechanism into a gap in the steering column.
By removing the entire unit this then removes the ability for it to lock the steering.
Only way to be totally sure is to either ring LDV or remove the unit.

Time for a change!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.