Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Private plate transfer
Dave Bailey

posted on 17/7/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Private plate transfer

Sadly my father passed away a few weeks ago and we are trying to sort his car out. The car is in my fathers name and we are going to PX it for a new Seat for my mum. We want to transfer the private plate to my mums new car... Two questions

1. Do I have to register the car in my mothers name to sell it?
2. Do I have to register the car in my mothers name to transfer the plate?

Obviously if the answer is yes to either results in a potential delay whilst I get the V5 changed....

Thanks
Dave Bailey

chicade

posted on 18/7/16 at 04:59 AM Reply With Quote
You can do it online now probably the easiest thing would be to pay your fee and put it on retention then you can transfer it onto which ever vehicle you want for free which can also be done online
hizzi

posted on 18/7/16 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
i did this recently go online to dvla and put on retention that happens instantly. then wait till you have logsbooks for new cars all sorted then have plate put on to new car otherwise it can take up to six weeks to swap and dealer will hold both cars
nick205

posted on 18/7/16 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I recently paid £80 to remove a no. plat from a car registered in my name before selling the car. Put the no. plate on a retention certificate and then put it on my wife's car registered in here name. DVLA wouldn't do it online for reasons neither they or I could figure out. I then filled in the paperwork and wrote to the DVLA who wrote back saying they couldn't do it. Subsequently went back online and put it on my wife's car for free with no issues!

IMHO the DVLA are not that bright or switched on and you're better off doing it yourself online

Dave Bailey

posted on 18/7/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
My problem is that the car is in my fathers name who has sadly passed away. I suppose nothing stopping me trying to do it online.
nick205

posted on 18/7/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
My problem is that the car is in my fathers name who has sadly passed away. I suppose nothing stopping me trying to do it online.

I'd hazard a guess the DVLA don't know that your father has passed away?

If that's the case then there should be no issue putting the plate on a retention certificate or simply transferring it between cars. From experiece it doesn't matter if the FROM and TO cars are registered to different people.

Fred W B

posted on 18/7/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for your loss.

If the car is in your fathers name is it not now tied up in the estate? I had a similar case and had to get permission form the executor of the will to sell the car. And the proceeds of the sale went into the estate until that was wound up.

Apologies if you have that in hand.

regards

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nick205

posted on 20/7/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Sorry for your loss.

If the car is in your fathers name is it not now tied up in the estate? I had a similar case and had to get permission form the executor of the will to sell the car. And the proceeds of the sale went into the estate until that was wound up.

Apologies if you have that in hand.

regards

Fred W B

Hadn't thought of that, but I guess it's a possible issue.

If it's not got that far I'd still be tempted to try and change the plates before it does.

Dave Bailey

posted on 20/7/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Basically...

Have to change the ownership to my mum then everything can be sorted online.....

Dave B

gremlin1234

posted on 20/7/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
remember the registered keeper <can> be different from the owner.
so may be able to do it without changing the v5.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.