Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolling Road Recommendations?
IanSouthLincs

posted on 22/7/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling Road Recommendations?

Guys, I've got my car up and running and really enjoying it, however I'm looking to get it on the rollers as son as possible to get the best out of what I've got. I'm running a 2.0 pinto with group 1 valves, Piper 285 cam and 40 thou skim. Running twin DCOE 40's, so it's completely old school. Anyone know of a suitable place to take it for a RR session in or around the Peterborough or South Lincolnshire area?

posted on 23/7/16 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Peter Baldwin did mine near Cambridge. Rusty Nuts recommended him.

David Jenkins was there this week.

Is that too far from you ?

zetec

posted on 23/7/16 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Second for Peter Baldwin, very experienced on older stuff and reasonable prices.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

rusty nuts

posted on 23/7/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Contact details if you need them .

Peter Baldwin ,
Wilshers garage,
Wimpole
SG8 5QE
01223 207217

About 4 miles from junction 12 M11 on the A603

How did David's get on?

[Edited on 23/7/16 by rusty nuts]

posted on 23/7/16 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

How did David's get on?

[Edited on 23/7/16 by rusty nuts]

He said it's the best it's ever run. Well pleased.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Correct - my car supposedly got to 114BHP (at the engine) which isn't bad considering that a standard 1600GT xflow gave around 85BHP originally, so my modest modifications have made quite a change. Before anyone says it - I know that BHP readings on rolling roads can be, erm, open to interpretation. When I first built the car I had an old and probably knackered Weber DGV 32/36, which gave me around 90BHP on a rolling road. Then I had bike carbs which I reckon may have given me the highest power, but I didn't find that they suited my driving style (I had to work the engine to get the best out of them). Finally I've gone back to a brand-new Weber DGV that may not quite have the same power as the bike carbs (but I'm not certain about that) but is far nicer to drive after being set up properly. It still accelerates like a scalded cat...

I should say that when I first spoke to the tuner I told him that I wasn't chasing power - I just wanted the carb to work properly - but he was keen to get the most he could out of it. The scary bit was when he was telling me to put my foot down hard in 4th gear... I glanced over at the speedo and I was doing around 90+ mph while standing still! It's noisy, smoky despite the extractors, and there are big fans blowing air everywhere, so it's certainly an experience.

Do make sure that you are aware of the costs before you go there - he's not the most expensive rolling road by a long way, but it's still £75/hour + VAT, and I was there for 2 hours.

IanSouthLincs

posted on 23/7/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect Guys thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. That's about 1 1/2 hours from me so certainly do-able I'll give him a ring and get booked in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.