New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT question
steve m

posted on 22/8/16 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
MOT question

I have the MOT booked this week on the Tintop, yet it expires on the 11th Sept
question is, if it fails, is the sept 11 expiry still valid or void

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

joneh

posted on 22/8/16 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Grey area. You are allowed to drive it away but you still have to be legally road worthy.

I guess it depends on what you fail on.

britishtrident

posted on 22/8/16 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
You still have a valid MOT but your car may not be roadworthy in the eyes of the law on specific isssues and to quote the VT30 "you should have the vehicle repaired without delay" there is however another form that can be issued if the vehicle is considered so dangerous it should not be driven on the road at all.

[Edited on 22/8/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 22/8/16 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I thought so

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dick

posted on 22/8/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
If you take a car for mot and it fails then it now has no valid mot, even if your old mot expires after this date , No gray area its failed and the system shows mot espied and vehicle failed on the date you had the test.
CC Cyclone

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I was told by a tester, beyond doubt, that once it fails it fails and has no MOT irrespective of whether the old one has run out or not.
CC Cyclone

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 22/8/16 by CC Cyclone]
Slimy38

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick
If you take a car for mot and it fails then it now has no valid mot, even if your old mot expires after this date , No gray area its failed and the system shows mot espied and vehicle failed on the date you had the test.

This is how I interpret it as well. It's to do with it now being computerised. Before you could just hang on to your old ticket and produce it as required (even if it was slightly dodgy). Now the system will always show the last result, even if the previous result is still 'in range'.

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Despite the above it is indeed a grey area.
The Government's own website says you can 'drive the car away' if its fails but you still have a in date Mot, but fall short of saying you can continue to use it till the old one expires.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
Its also worth noting at one point the website was updated to state 'You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out.' and this was removed, so I suspect this ran against the true letter of the law.
As mentioned, and stated in the link, regardless of if you have a current mot the 'vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times'.

Ignore what any MoT tester tells you, 90% are garage monkeys with little knowledge of the law and in rare cases limited knowledge of the Mot standards!

[Edited on 22-8-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Dick

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Ignore what any MoT tester tells you, 90% are garage monkeys with little knowledge of the law and in rare cases limited knowledge of the Mot standards!

Ill pass on your comments to my Sons and Daughter all of them are mot tester's all of them are time served motor engineers some even have degrees in other fields to none. They all work in the family business that is one of only a few that have been awarded trading standards approval along side many other business accreditations. They even build and restore cars to .

Strange none of them are monkeys.

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/16 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick
Ill pass on your comments to my Sons and Daughter all of them are mot tester's all of them are time served motor engineers some even have degrees in other fields to none. They all work in the family business that is one of only a few that have been awarded trading standards approval along side many other business accreditations. They even build and restore cars to .

Strange none of them are monkeys.

They will be in the 10%

Mistral Motorsport

obfripper

posted on 22/8/16 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, the mot is a test of vehicle condition at time of test, and is valid until it's expiry date, irrespective of further mot tests.
Using the vehicle in an unroadworthy (ie failed mot) condition is an construction and use offence and has no effect on the validity of the mot, you would not be prosecuted for having no mot, however the unroadworthy items would attract a fine and endorsements if picked up upon.
The only things that can invalidate an mot are the vehicle being written off cat c or d, or the dvsa issuing a prohibition order that requires a full mot before further use.

Dave

dave_424

posted on 22/8/16 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Previous MOT is still valid, they don't give you a FAIL certificate but rather a Refusal of a pass certificate. If it fails on something that is detrimental to the vehicles safety then I am sure you would agree that it wouldn't be wise to continue driving it, but the previous MOT still stands
coyoteboy

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told by several testers including a local VOSA station that the original is still valid unless the "dangerous vehicle" declaration is served. The government website alludes to this also. I'll stick with that.

coyoteboy

posted on 22/8/16 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told by several testers including a local VOSA station that the original is still valid unless the "dangerous vehicle" declaration is served. The government website alludes to this also. I'll stick with that.

steve m

posted on 25/8/16 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response's, however the Mondeo passed its MOT so not an issue
But I hope it helps "to answer the question" for any one else

steve

B33fy

posted on 25/8/16 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Despite the above it is indeed a grey area.
The Government's own website says you can 'drive the car away' if its fails but you still have a in date Mot, but fall short of saying you can continue to use it till the old one expires.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
Its also worth noting at one point the website was updated to state 'You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out.' and this was removed, so I suspect this ran against the true letter of the law.
As mentioned, and stated in the link, regardless of if you have a current mot the 'vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times'.

Oooh..oooh oooh ooooh aaarh aahrr aahrr oooh ooh eeehh eeeh knob aaarh aaarh oooh ooh ohh.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.